cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 1156 bulbs with 6x8 LED panels

KevSchofield
Explorer
Explorer
I recently decided to replace all the 1156 bulbs in my camper with LED lighting.
I looked at the barrel type but settled on these 6x8 panels mostly due to price.

These are 6000K and provide a bright white light.. other 'colors' are available.
I purchased them on 'a popular auction site' in a package of 10 for $16.83 shipped..
They arrived quickly as they were from a US seller (but I'm sure they were made overseas)

The install is super easy.. video below.

I did have an issue with 1 adapter being wired backwards, and 1 LED panel that was no good out of the box.

I contacted the seller and told them I wanted 5 more plus the bad one replaced.
They charged me another $8.44 shipped and sent me 8 replacements..

Good service as far as I'm concerned.. 17 working panels for $25.27 or $1.48 each.

Here's a short video of the installation.. Filmed with 1 hand and installed with the other ๐Ÿ™‚

CLICK HERE FOR INSTALLATION VIDEO
Kev in NH
'07 Jayco Eagle 325BHS w/ the big bunks
'02 Ford F350 V10 w/ Reese 16K slider
21 REPLIES 21

KevSchofield
Explorer
Explorer
Eli.. Several of my lights came 'unglued' from the backing as well after being on for some time..

What adhesive did you use and where did you get it?

Also, what about the melting light covers? was it because the light panels
had fallen down and were making contact with the plastic? amd now they are OK?
Kev in NH

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Well after a few emails with the seller. The decision has been made that his supplier gave him the wrong mounting tape. It was not rated above 100 degrees. since it was 97 here yesterday then add the heat that the lights put out, the tape was failing and melting... Went down and got the proper mounting tape that is rated at 175 degrees all lights have been reinstalled and left on for well over 45 mins, the result is they work just like they are supposed to. AWESOME!!!!
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
The voltage reading was when we were not plugged in. I wanted to see how the setup would work running off the 2 group 27 batteries and our 100 watts of solar.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Eli,
Was that measured voltage at the light socket without a load? I wonder if you are operating with a converter and the load of your lights and other 12V devices is pushing the converter into bulk charging mode? That could result in your 12V system voltage rising above 14V. It would also explain the "real bright" aspect.

FWIW, I operate those same size LED panels at a system voltage of 13.6V and they do not get that hot. I've never measured amperage since they all work well but that's something that could be measured to see if the panel is the culprit.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the long post, but I have a few questions/concerns/warnings maybe?

I did buy these, was very excited while waiting the 5 days for them from Ca. Got them, installed them a couple did not work so I checked the plug first, 2 of them had been wiring backwards (polarity) put those back in the packages, took out two more. I bought 20 so I would have 5 extra. They seemed real bright. Took a shower, left 2 lights on in the bathroom kept smelling something burning. Got out of the shower and noticed that the 2 I had in the bathroom were so hot that the light covers were starting to melt. WAY TO HOT.

Long story short I turned the rest of them on one by one, gave them about 5 mins of run time and they all started to melt my plastic light covers.. Voltage at the light socket is 12.4 I will be contacting the seller to see if maybe I got a bad batch or something. Kinda disappointed. Was really hoping to save battery juice when boondocking...
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like that seller must be making his own, which is fine as long as they work. Just look at the led layout on ebay between his and other sellers. His led are crooked. But it is a good price.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
They look like 3528 (1210) chips to me.

If you have difficulty making the panels stick to the plastic fixture, gently roughen the surface with sandpaper.

Personally, I prefer the warm white color.
Yes, in looking at the seller's pictures again, they are probably 3528's on the boards. Something about the diode mounting seemed different to me, at first.

I too, prefer the warm white's. I do have a couple of task lights that will need LED's and I was experimenting with 6000K 5050 panels. The fixtures had etched glass lenses and the color wasn't that awful bad. I've since changed plans on using the same fixtures so am back to square one with those lights.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
tenbear wrote:

If you have difficulty making the panels stick to the plastic fixture, gently roughen the surface with sandpaper.

There was a topic recently. People run a cable tie around the LED board and metal plate of existing light fixture. Or a drop of caulk in the corners.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
They look like 3528 (1210) chips to me.

Personally, I prefer the warm white color.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, I see 3528 at this store but not 3428. Fine with me.

At 6000K (6500 in his another board) it must be very, very "white", slightly bluish. More like fluorescent tube rather than previous incandescent bulb.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
West, remind me the difference between 3428 and (more common) 3528. Other than size, obviously.
Die size. They are the same diode, generically. This particular seller lists the LED die as 3428.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
West, remind me the difference between 3428 and (more common) 3528. Other than size, obviously.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Those don't look like 3428 chips. There is another diode that is not the 5050 or the 3428 (can't recall the number). The mystery diode is nearly equivalent to the 3428 so won't make a severe luminosity difference but, IIRC, does draw a bit more current. I'll try to search for this chip and post back with the characteristics if I can find it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

KevSchofield
Explorer
Explorer
These are the ones I bought..

Sorry I didn't post it originally..Some forums frown on direct
links as they don't want to 'advertise' anything..
Kev in NH