cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staple Quandary

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks, no posts in awhile, but I'm into something...

Repairing wood rot on the old Wilderness, for which I have had to de-skin the back end. About ready to re-install the (aluminum) skins and have a question about staples...

Originals were what seems to be called medium crown staples, 3/8 wide x 3/4 long. I am having a problem finding these (and the staple guns that go with 'em) locally. What I can get are so-called narrow crown staples, 1/4 wide x various lengths.

So, the question is, should I use the narrow crown staples, or not. One downside I see, from limited testing, is that I can't pull the staples once driven, they just want to pull through the skin. Of course, this is only a problem if I would want to de-skin it again in the future. Hope to never :R
Other than that, I thing they will hold just fine.

Any experiences out there? What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Tin

(BTW, I posted in this forum b/c I am DIY, and I AM upgrading from rotted wood to un-rotted ๐Ÿ™‚ No, seriously, b/c of all the excellent restoration work I have seen here in the past.)
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)
16 REPLIES 16

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check Ebay and other places online for what you need?

On the other hand, if what you have works, I would use it. If you need to reskin in the future, that's when I would be concerned about removing the staples.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Home depot online has some close to that but the gun is expensive,