cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Made a new storage area using Coroplast

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone else used Coroplast to add storage in your RV? We just added made a shoe storage bin under the floor with the hopes that it actually holds up. I think it'll do the trick assuming the kids don't try to climb in there. My initial design had flaps that were glued and riveted for support, but needed to cut them off after I realized a measurement error.

Here's the video of how I did it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcaGiuxP51Q

And our related blog post
http://www.rvcircus.com/how-to-build-a-lightweight-rv-storage-compartment/
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
11 REPLIES 11

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!

qtla9111 wrote:
Looks great, you did a good job. I also saw your other video. You've got backing up down pat!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good tip! I was going to a local shop to have small parts laser cut and it's amazing what a case of beer will get you. There's also a metal yard not to far from us that's like a grown man's Disney. They have an inside metal yard the size of a football field and then a warehouse next door with just about anything else you could want or need. My wife doesn't like when I'm heading over there;)

westend wrote:
Very ingenious! Shoes and blankets shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't store any valuables in there, though.

FWIW, a few years ago I discovered a metal fab and supply shop fairly close to me. I can buy all sorts of aluminum sheet and panel, usually at scrap price from the cut-off piles. If you like building cases and boxes, you may be lucky and find a similar outfit close by. Tip: In the Summer, I give my scale man at the metal shop a couple of 12 packs of soda pop. Prices go down immensely.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Interesting, how's it holding up?

Dusty R wrote:
I've made a small box out of coroplast. And drilled all the way through the first layer then 1/2 way through the 2nd. Then filled the holes with construction adhesive. To fasten the corners together.

Very well, thanks.

Dusty

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Looks great, you did a good job. I also saw your other video. You've got backing up down pat!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Very ingenious! Shoes and blankets shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't store any valuables in there, though.

FWIW, a few years ago I discovered a metal fab and supply shop fairly close to me. I can buy all sorts of aluminum sheet and panel, usually at scrap price from the cut-off piles. If you like building cases and boxes, you may be lucky and find a similar outfit close by. Tip: In the Summer, I give my scale man at the metal shop a couple of 12 packs of soda pop. Prices go down immensely.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting, how's it holding up?

Dusty R wrote:
I've made a small box out of coroplast. And drilled all the way through the first layer then 1/2 way through the 2nd. Then filled the holes with construction adhesive. To fasten the corners together.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to sign work and Coroplast is a pretty cool material. Light and cheap for sure.

BillyW wrote:
Coroplast is handy stuff! Currently my electric tongue jack is protected from the elements by a little coroplast/eternabond box.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought about adding some support and if it causes problems I may still do it. I'm expecting it to sag a bit, but we're not planning to use it for long term storage. I just made it as a place to ditch all the shoes while camping. With that said my wife already asked if blankets will fit in there, so it's intended use may not always be the case. I'm actually a little curious to see what kind of abuse it can actually take before failing;)

BendOrLarry wrote:
Looks good but I think I would have made some kind of bottom support, possibly just a 1 inch frame around the bottom and sides. If you have anything very heavy that finds the middle of the bottom, it most likely will sag.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Coroplast is handy stuff! Currently my electric tongue jack is protected from the elements by a little coroplast/eternabond box.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good but I think I would have made some kind of bottom support, possibly just a 1 inch frame around the bottom and sides. If you have anything very heavy that finds the middle of the bottom, it most likely will sag.