cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater Set-up, easy solution

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for an easy solution for my Tailgater, to get it off the ground, and to make it appear to be more secure than it really is (to avoid potential theft ... which we've never had any issue with ... but still in the back of my mind).

Anyway, a couple weeks ago when camping, I came across this camper at the campground, and saw this. I was amazed! It was perfect for what I was wanting to do. But for some reason, I had a brain melt and couldn't get that "Ah-Ha!" moment until I saw this. Then .... BINGO!

I took a couple photos. Whoever this belongs to, if you are a member on these forums ... THANK-YOU!

This person used a simple camera tripod with a board screwed in the top, and attached the Tailgater with a bungie cord! So simple, I couldn't believe it.

I had a tripod from my old "DISH" ... "dish"....
But for some reason, the "Ah-Ha!" never clicked until now:

So, this last week, I pulled out my old tripod, cut a board, used a tent peg in the middle of the board where I drilled a hole to keep the board from slipping around, simply put the board on top of the tripod, and bungied it down.

I tested the waters this week-end camping again. It works wonderful! So simple ...it's off the ground, stable, and looks like it belongs, and maybe not so 'tempting' for theft.

Already this morning at this park, I've had a couple people walking by taking notice of it. One guy talking to another said, I need to do that with mine too!

Here's the photos from this morning if this will give anyone else an "Ah-Ha!" moment ... feel 100% free to copy the idea!

6 REPLIES 6

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
High voltage stickers keeps the idiots away. You can also buy an alarm that will sound when the connection is severed. Ebay amazon camping world has them
jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed all the labels and writing from mine. I thought that just seeing "Dish Network" on the side of it might entice someone to try and steal it thing that was all they would need to watch satellite TV.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
They make a bracket that will hook it to the truck window.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The wind will turn it over.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
The bungee cord stops the theft?

Nothing will stop theft, but if it just "looks" a little more intimidating, kids or inquisitive people will remain "honest" and leave it alone. But this set-up solves a lot of issues I've experienced instead of simply sitting it on the ground.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
The bungee cord stops the theft?