cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wine cork backsplash

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
As was discussed on fulltimin's rebuild thread, DW and I decided to do some minor updates to the inside of our rig. First on the agenda was to replace some mirrors with a cork backsplash made from wine corks from bottles we have consumed.

This is the original view of the area we are updating.

and
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select
22 REPLIES 22

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Good job. Back in the 60s we wallpapered one wall with boone's farm labels. The fun part was emptying the bottles, was it the same for you?
Yes, that was the best part of the project.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
That looks great!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When I read the title of your post I didn't know what to expect.
That is really neat. Thanks for sharing.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. Back in the 60s we wallpapered one wall with boone's farm labels. The fun part was emptying the bottles, was it the same for you?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very nice but my wine comes in a box! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the final product. We feel that it is a big improvement as neither DW or I liked all the mirrors on the walls.

Before

After

When I stated that it took 3 days, I did not mean that we worked on this continuously for 3 days. We took lots of breaks for other activities. I did not keep track of the total number of hours, but I would estimate that it was about 15 hours total from start to finish, not counting the time spent cutting corks in half.

Next up.....
Replacing the mirrors in the kitchen backsplash with Smart Tiles.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We started gluing corks that we had previously cut in half lengthwise to the wall. We started at the outer edge with full corks so that any cuts would be in the corner where they are least visible.

We tried to avoid having corks from the same type of wine close to each other. We also tried to use corks of similar diameters in each row so that they remained relatively straight.

It took us 3 days to glue up the 520 cork halves required to cover the space.It took 19 corks across the back and 7 corks on the side to complete a row. There are 20 rows of corks. Since the wall finish is light, any areas which would be exposed between corks (since they ae not perfectly rectangular) were colored black with a Sharpie.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We pried the mirrors off of the walls, then marked the edges where we wanted the corks to end with some blue painter's tape.

then

We taped some paper down to the countertop to prevent getting hot glue on the surface.
2016 Ford Edge Sport