cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Florida Statute on Double Towing

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV's under the 2014 Florida Statute, Title XXIII Motor Vehicles 316.515(3)? Also are there any Florida residents on the forum having knowledge of any movement underway to get the statute changed? :@
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart
69 REPLIES 69

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Perusing the Fifth Wheel/Your Rig thread shows some really cool pictures of double pull setups across this great nation. Enjoy the pics!
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
which of these states that allow double towing do NOT have a restriction on what it is being towed. I.E. at one time I believe MN said it had to be a 5th wheel and boat.
bumpy

Bumpyroad:
You are right, MN and AZ requires 5th wheel setups. But since I have a
5th wheel I didn't pay that much attention to that restriction. But if you want to know each state the following website is very good on providing detail.

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm
Gene & Robin Somogyi

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
which of these states that allow double towing do NOT have a restriction on what it is being towed. I.E. at one time I believe MN said it had to be a 5th wheel and boat.
bumpy

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV's under the 2014 Florida Statute, Title XXIII Motor Vehicles 316.515(3)? Also are there any Florida residents on the forum having knowledge of any movement underway to get the statute changed? :@

*YOU* are clearly the leader to get it done!.:W

Now - get going.....as in put up or shut up..:S

But - hurry!

Your grandchildren may die of old age before it's changed..:R

~

Below is the response received back from Lt. Frost referencing the data behind the statute. As written it has been on the books for 20+ years. I've therefore pushed the limits as far as I can on this (IMHO) outdated statute. Moving forward, it will take Floridian RV enthusiasts contacting their representatives (link below) with a write-in campaign to start getting attention on the statute .

For me I will continue to enjoy the legal ability to double tow, if I so wish, in the following 28 states, particularly Texas. Time to saddle up, load the golf cart on the trailer, connect to the 5th wheel, and head to Port Aransas for some beach time.
โ€ขAlaska
โ€ขArizona
โ€ขArkansas
โ€ขCalifornia
โ€ขColorado
โ€ขIdaho
โ€ขIllinois
โ€ขIndiana
โ€ขIowa
โ€ขKansas
โ€ขKentucky
โ€ขLouisiana
โ€ขMaryland
โ€ขMichigan
โ€ขMinnesota
โ€ขMississippi
โ€ขMissouri
โ€ขMontana
โ€ขNebraska
โ€ขNevada
โ€ขNew Mexico
โ€ขNorth Dakota
โ€ขOhio
โ€ขOklahoma
โ€ขSouth Dakota
โ€ขTennessee
โ€ขTexas
โ€ขUtah
_____
Mr.Somogyi,

This has been in Florida statutes for over 20 years. I would not know who to contact within the Florida Legislature who would have the background information used in putting this into law.

Lt. Jeff Frost
Florida Highway Patrol
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
17 Commerce Blvd.
Midway, Fl 32343
850-488-1891
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
www.flhsmv.gov/fhp
Jefffrost@flhsmv.gov
____

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/representatives/representatives.aspx
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ogfalconsr wrote:

*YOU* are clearly the leader to get it done!.:W

Now - get going.....as in put up or shut up..:S

But - hurry!

Your grandchildren may die of old age before it's changed..:R

~

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
laknox wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
have you experienced or seen a highway incident regarding this type of activity?

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:
KSL News) One man was killed, four others injured in an accident on Interstate 80 near Echo at milepost 170 in Summit County.

The Utah Highway Patrol says the driver, 40-year-old Ty R. Richins, was traveling westbound on I-80 Sunday pulling a camping trailer and Jeep Wrangler behind his 1990 Ford F-350. The trailer and Jeep began to sway back and forth forcing the truck off the road. The truck hit a post and part of an exit sign, overturning the truck, which then rolled.

The truck, trailer and Jeep separated. The trailer and the Jeep overturned and rolled onto the Interstate, blocking the lanes of travel.

Richins, who is from Syracuse, was ejected from the vehicle suffering major trauma to his head and torso. He was found dead under the truck.

...........snip................

Richins was not exceeding the speed limit, but the highway patrol says due to the weight of all three vehicles, speed was a factor in the crash.

Link to full story, pictures

TRAILER, not fifth wheel, is the operative clue. This was an illegal hitch-up from the get-go, at least in AZ.

Lyle

Not true - double tow is legal in AZ and Utah where the accident happened. That's right only 5th wheel double tow is legal in AZ , but double tow in Utah.

With a leading ball or pintle hitch, it's not. MUST be a leading FW hitch with ball or pintle on the secondary trailer...in AZ...by statute. In that accident pic, there was no FW hitch in the truck, so it's got to be a bumper pull. IMO, not a safe way to tow, even if legal.

Lyle

That's what he said Arizona requires a FW hitch and Utah does not.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ogfalconsr wrote:
laknox wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
have you experienced or seen a highway incident regarding this type of activity?

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:
KSL News) One man was killed, four others injured in an accident on Interstate 80 near Echo at milepost 170 in Summit County.

The Utah Highway Patrol says the driver, 40-year-old Ty R. Richins, was traveling westbound on I-80 Sunday pulling a camping trailer and Jeep Wrangler behind his 1990 Ford F-350. The trailer and Jeep began to sway back and forth forcing the truck off the road. The truck hit a post and part of an exit sign, overturning the truck, which then rolled.

The truck, trailer and Jeep separated. The trailer and the Jeep overturned and rolled onto the Interstate, blocking the lanes of travel.

Richins, who is from Syracuse, was ejected from the vehicle suffering major trauma to his head and torso. He was found dead under the truck.

Richins was not exceeding the speed limit, but the highway patrol says due to the weight of all three vehicles, speed was a factor in the crash.

TRAILER, not fifth wheel, is the operative clue. This was an illegal hitch-up from the get-go, at least in AZ.

Lyle

Not true - double tow is legal in AZ and Utah where the accident happened. That's right only 5th wheel double tow is legal in AZ , but double tow in Utah.

With a leading ball or pintle hitch, it's not. MUST be a leading FW hitch with ball or pintle on the secondary trailer...in AZ...by statute. In that accident pic, there was no FW hitch in the truck, so it's got to be a bumper pull. IMO, not a safe way to tow, even if legal.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:

Lyle

Gene & Robin Somogyi

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:

IIRC the "LEGAL" speed limit in UTAH is 80. Anybody towing at that speed is asking for trouble no matter what it is single or double especially since RV tires are speed rated at 65. They said the speed for the weight, so the fact that he had 2 trailers was not the main cause. Driving like an IDIOTwas.

That was an unfortunate accident. What was't clear to me was the type of trailer-5th wheel or conventional travel trailer. That would have been a tremendous load for a bumper pull setup.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Pete_k wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
This discussion has been going on forever... There are post after post by people who have double towed in the State of FL with no ramifications. What is interesting is FL law has seperate definitions for trailer and fw a trailer cannot exceed 40 ft and a fw cannot have more than 400 sq ft of living space no mention of length.

According to a large trailer dealer in Daytona, double towing with a FW is legal and if you ever travel I-75 you see it all the time. Also it is done by people visiting Walt Disney World pulling golf carts behind their FW and they are FL residents.:?

So the "discussion", "disagreement" or what ever continues.:)

SEE BELOW and ABOVE

So right back the end of June. I lost count of the Double trailers in Fl we seen.
Pete

My travels to FL over the years have reflected the same results. Especially at Disney's Ft Wilderness where we go often.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
This discussion has been going on forever... There are post after post by people who have double towed in the State of FL with no ramifications. What is interesting is FL law has seperate definitions for trailer and fw a trailer cannot exceed 40 ft and a fw cannot have more than 400 sq ft of living space no mention of length.

According to a large trailer dealer in Daytona, double towing with a FW is legal and if you ever travel I-75 you see it all the time. Also it is done by people visiting Walt Disney World pulling golf carts behind their FW and they are FL residents.:?

So the "discussion", "disagreement" or what ever continues.:)

SEE BELOW and ABOVE

So right back the end of June. I lost count of the Double trailers in Fl we seen.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:

IIRC the "LEGAL" speed limit in UTAH is 80. Anybody towing at that speed is asking for trouble no matter what it is single or double especially since RV tires are speed rated at 65. They said the speed for the weight, so the fact that he had 2 trailers was not the main cause. Driving like an IDIOTwas.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
ogfalconsr wrote:

Not personally, but:

KSL News wrote:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien