cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Florida Statute on Double Towing

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV's under the 2014 Florida Statute, Title XXIII Motor Vehicles 316.515(3)? Also are there any Florida residents on the forum having knowledge of any movement underway to get the statute changed? :@
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart
69 REPLIES 69

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV?.......snip.....

There are two ways to discover the "reasons" behind a law:

1) By studying its legislative history
and
2) By directly challenging a specific law in Court.

While not the cheapest option, the second way may be the most efficient since it forces the Lawmaking body to establish its justification/constitutionality/etc.

:S...:S...:R

1. Study mountaineering.

2. Hire Sherpas, climb Mt. Everest.

~

....probably would be easier than tracking the logic of law from legislators.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV?.......snip.....

There are two ways to discover the "reasons" behind a law:

1) By studying its legislative history
and
2) By directly challenging a specific law in Court.

While not the cheapest option, the second way may be the most efficient since it forces the Lawmaking body to establish its justification/constitutionality/etc.

:S...:S...:R

1. Study mountaineering.

2. Hire Sherpas, climb Mt. Everest.

~

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

Speeding and and having a wreck would have the same ramifications, the law is on the books.

if you have an accident double towing it will be obvious to the investigating officer, insurance co., etc. it would not be as obvious if you were merely speeding.
but nobody here surely expects the response to any inquiry is, "it is against the law but we rarely enforce it so do as you wish?"
bumpy

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
So far I think all we have done is 'dance' around the issue. At some point it (statute) needs to be attacked head-on. Maybe it's tourist dollars that do the talking, maybe it's residents of Florida. That's it for me until I reach someone at the aforementioned phone number on Tuesday.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'm betting that if the OP gets any response, it will cite the applicable regulation as being the law. whether or not it is enforced 100% is meaningless. if the law is on the books, you are in violation if you break it. and if you get a LEO in a bad mood, you might get in a bit of trouble.
or if you happen to be involved in a wreck, it will not go well for you in a civil suit.
bumpy

All, let's wait to see what happens. Maybe I get lucky, maybe I don't. I have obtained the phone number of the Florida Legislative Division where I can inquire about the statute (850-488-4371). After the holiday I intend to give them a call and see where it goes. Perhaps the rest of you might consider the same thing. You never know if increased interest from a number of us might spur further action.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'm betting that if the OP gets any response, it will cite the applicable regulation as being the law. whether or not it is enforced 100% is meaningless. if the law is on the books, you are in violation if you break it. and if you get a LEO in a bad mood, you might get in a bit of trouble.
or if you happen to be involved in a wreck, it will not go well for you in a civil suit.
bumpy

Speeding and and having a wreck would have the same ramifications, the law is on the books.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

A 45' FW being pulled by a crew cab truck, 8' bed would be around 62' to 63'. Also what about the ones being pulled by a non-commercial semi tractor. Colorado, Georgia, Illinois and Indiana are 4 states, just ot name a couple with a 60' max. So there has to be some kind of reciprocity other than for a driverss license.

I think it likely that many jurisdictions sorta look the other way when it comes to some things- what Stater is gonna run around with a tape measure looking for an extra foot or so of length?

Something as conspicuous as a double tow is a whole 'nother ball game- much harder to ignore, especially if the State has seen fit to ban it altogether.

As soon as I receive a response (the FHP website said it takes about a week to answer inquiries)I will publish for all. I was hoping, however, there would be more outrage from Floridians about this issue and more insight on the matter. I'll continue to also search for a legislative approach too. Stay tuned!

But that is just the point. Double Tow is being done all the time in FL and apparently being ignored if there is no reciprocity. I see it all the time and numerous people have posted that they do it year after year after year. A a matter of fact I see FL residents double towing to Disney all the time as well. A FL local even posted the only time he got stopped was on his way to the keys on one of the bridges and the sheriff did measure and he was at 64'11" and no more was said.

As I stated either here? or definitely on another thread we can discuss this to the cows come home. Hopefully the OP will get a response from the FHP.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

A 45' FW being pulled by a crew cab truck, 8' bed would be around 62' to 63'. Also what about the ones being pulled by a non-commercial semi tractor. Colorado, Georgia, Illinois and Indiana are 4 states, just ot name a couple with a 60' max. So there has to be some kind of reciprocity other than for a driverss license.

I think it likely that many jurisdictions sorta look the other way when it comes to some things- what Stater is gonna run around with a tape measure looking for an extra foot or so of length?

Something as conspicuous as a double tow is a whole 'nother ball game- much harder to ignore, especially if the State has seen fit to ban it altogether.

But that is just the point. Double Tow is being done all the time in FL and apparently being ignored if there is no reciprocity. I see it all the time and numerous people have posted that they do it year after year after year. A a matter of fact I see FL residents double towing to Disney all the time as well. A FL local even posted the only time he got stopped was on his way to the keys on one of the bridges and the sheriff did measure and he was at 64'11" and no more was said.

As I stated either here? or definitely on another thread we can discuss this to the cows come home. Hopefully the OP will get a response from the FHP.
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

you can only lead a horse to water.
you can't reason with one.
when I discovered that over a certain weight in my state required special licensing I asked my salesman/friend/dealer if they warned all DP purchasers about over 26,001 lbs. and he said no. I think he was opening them up to a bit of being fussed at.
bumpy

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

As I stated above then anybody who buys a 40'1" or longer FW cannot tow it in the states that have a 40' limit on trailers. And there are tons of those FW's on the road as well as 19 states with the 40' limit. Also stay out of NC they only allow 35'..

I think that trailer "length" is tug rear bumper to trailer rear bumper, and presumes a bumper pull. Combined length, usually 60-65 feet, is likely what governs fifth wheel towing...wouldn't even the biggest fiver/pickup combinations fall within sixty feet or so total?

She lets Grumpy drive!!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:

As I stated above then anybody who buys a 40'1" or longer FW cannot tow it in the states that have a 40' limit on trailers. And there are tons of those FW's on the road as well as 19 states with the 40' limit. Also stay out of NC they only allow 35'..

I think that trailer "length" is tug rear bumper to trailer rear bumper, and presumes a bumper pull. Combined length, usually 60-65 feet, is likely what governs fifth wheel towing...wouldn't even the biggest fiver/pickup combinations fall within sixty feet or so total?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
The reason I did is we are switching to a FW and double towing is legal in OHIO and everybody says that reciprocity kicks in.

everybody who says that is wrong. of that there is NO confusion.
bumpy

She lets Grumpy drive!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
The reason I did is we are switching to a FW and double towing is legal in OHIO and everybody says that reciprocity kicks in.

everybody who says that is wrong. of that there is NO confusion.
bumpy