cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Hitch - Underbed Mount or Not?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just traded our travel trailer for a 5th wheel and need to get a hitch for our new 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I am leaning toward the Demco Hijacker (autoslide) hitch, but can't decide whether to go with the under bed mount model or the above bed model.

I don't plan on using the truck for much other than towing the 5th wheel so I have no real need for a "clean" bed for cargo hauling. However, why wouldn't I want the flexibility of having a clean bed in case my needs change?

I guess I'm asking, "What is the downside of going with an under bed mount?

Also, any pros or cons regarding the Hijacker are welcome.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
22 REPLIES 22

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for undermount. We have the Pullrite SG with undermount. Also have a Linex sprayed bed. When I take the hitch out I just put duct-tape over the four holes to keep junk out and have a good looking clean bed that I can slide things around in easily.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
My last truck had rails in the bed and my current truck is clean when the hitch is out. I really don't have a preference at this point, never ran into an issue where having the rails stopped me from doing anything in the old truck. With that said, I do like the current setup with the hitch out, no obstructions at all in the bed.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the demco hijacker autoslide ,mounted underneath,2015 gmc 3500.This is the 2nd truck with this hitch,it has been excellent.Like it clean for hauling whatever,also a much lower profile so you can use a bedcover.

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
mine is mounted under the bed so there are only 4 holes in the box when the hitch is out. The down side is the price: but money well spent in my opinion.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Rails in the bed are not really a problem. I had those on my previous truck. And hauled all kinds of stuff including furniture, lumber, plywood, tuff grass, etc with no problem.

But I have the underbed mount in the new truck. And love the flat bed when the hitch is out. Doesn't change anything I did with the old truck. But just really looks nicer.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
CarnationSailor wrote:
We just traded our travel trailer for a 5th wheel and need to get a hitch for our new 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I am leaning toward the Demco Hijacker (autoslide) hitch, but can't decide whether to go with the under bed mount model or the above bed model.

I don't plan on using the truck for much other than towing the 5th wheel so I have no real need for a "clean" bed for cargo hauling. However, why wouldn't I want the flexibility of having a clean bed in case my needs change?

I guess I'm asking, "What is the downside of going with an under bed mount?

Also, any pros or cons regarding the Hijacker are welcome.

The first time you need that clean bed, you'll kick yourself. ๐Ÿ˜‰ In my case, I absolutely need a clean bed =and= I have a gooseneck trailer, to the B&W Turnover Ball and Companion were the way to go. I use the GN more than the FW...dammit. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
The only downside I can see is the additional cost which isn't that much considering how much you have invested in the total package.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know of any downside.

I have a PR SuperGlide - it stays in the bed almost always.
(I'd say 99.9 percent of the time)

But on a (very) few occasions I have had the need for a clean bed.

So - why not?..:@