cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Power Problems New Converter

TCBeasyas123
Explorer
Explorer
My parents needed somebody to take care of their camper while the get settled into my Dad's new duty station. So they asked me to stay in it a while and just make sure it doesn't fall into disrepair.

About 3 weeks ago I went on vacation out of town. When I got back, there was no AC power to the camper. It didn't look like any breakers were kicked, so I flipped them all off and back on. As soon as I did that I heard some pops behind the breaker and smoke started coming out of the wall. So I flipped all the breakers back off and opened the storage compartment that gives access to that area. The smoke was coming from the converter. The next day I was able to find a place that had one. Got it installed, and everything worked fine.

2 weeks later (this morning) I go to microwave some leftovers for breakfast, and I think I heard the heater start to kick on. Everything powers down again. I don't want to make the same mistakes as last time in case I can still salvage the converter that only one local dealer carries and charges $330 for (nearly double what I could get it online for if I could wait on shipping).

My dad advised I test the circuit breaker voltage readings. I got 250v on the big breaker, and the others don't seem to be showing anything.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm a novice on RV electrical and my dad is currently stationed too far away to sing by and lend a hand.
5 REPLIES 5

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.. Can't believe that cost you $330. That stinks.
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

TCBeasyas123
Explorer
Explorer
A spider had started nesting in the 50 amp plug, and the ground was all full of junk. Cleaned it out, all good. Thanks a bunch!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a typical wiring setup for RV50A and RV30A service...
also a couple of AC VOLTAGE measurement diagrams to test the 50A and 30A circuit using a multimeter...

50A 120V/240V AC Measurements at the pedestal

30A 120VAC Measurements at the pedestal

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TCBeasyas123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are you plugged into for AC power?

It has lost the neutral.......either loose terminal or burnt wire

Possibly bad power cord.

But neutral is not connected
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31