cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel purchase

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were going to get a tt but have decided to buy another 5th wheel. We are looking at a slightly used Flagstaff 528RKS or a new 526RK. We are retired and older and I don't want to buy a problem. I would like to know how well they tow. Will pull with 2014 Chev 2500 6.0 gas with 3,110 Payload and 4.10 rear end. Thank you in advance for you thoughts and insight.
Steve
3 REPLIES 3

4BIGAL
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Flagstaff 528RKS. We bought a 2019 model brand new 3 seasons ago. This is our 5th camper (2nd 5th wheel) in 23 years. So far I am very happy with the quality feel and construction. Has been a very reliable and enjoyable camper to own. I tow with a 2017 F350 srw, 6.2 gas w/4.3 rear end.
2017 F-350, CREW, SRW, 6.2, 4.30, 4X4
2014 Coachmen 310BHDS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
GVWR for the 2022 model shows a GVWR of 11,250lb. So figure a pin weight of around 2300-2800lb (20-25%) once loaded. The "empty" hitch weight is irrelevant as you won't tow empty and most of the cargo space in 5ers sits towards the front where a big percentage turns into pin weight.

Your truck should have plenty of grunt to pull but the limitation with 5ers is usually truck payload. The pin weight counts against payload as does the weight of passengers, hitch, running boards, and anything in the truck bed. You also should keep an eye on the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating), again, probably Ok but the entire hitch weight will be on the rear axle with a 5er.

As long as you keep an eye on weights loaded in the truck, it looks viable but you could be pushing up towards the limits.

As far as towing, 5ers are typically great. The higher the hitch weight percentage, the better a trailer tows (semis are up around 50%). In addition, the hitch weight on a 5er sits directly over the axle limiting the leverage the trailer can exert on the truck. Of course, if the truck is overloaded, that can still result in an uncomfortable, possibly unsafe ride.

That said, there is no reason a properly loaded travel trailer (aka: bumper pull) should be difficult to tow. Most of the time wen there are problems, it's too light of a hitch weight (12-15% is good goal, under 10% is likely to develop sway problems).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most 5th wheels have tongue (pin) weights of 20% or more. Generally speaking, and a properly rated tow vehicle, there should never be a problem towing a 5th wheel (barring mechanical or poor construction problems). Problems towing arise when tongue (pin) weights are 10% or less.