cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheeler, Trailer and generator

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought of buying a trailer or 5th wheel to pull behind my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 with tow paqckage. My biggest reasons for not buying one is what is the largest rig I can pull behind my truck and where do you get electricity when you travel. Where can you put a generator? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, a 1500 or 1/2 ton truck is limited due to the GVWR and GAWR of a 1/2 ton truck. SO practically, you will have to keep your search down to about a maximum of 24'.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to get the same answers as you did on your other thread!
here.
NOT a good idea on a 1500. You will overload it VERY quickly.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all of above about the size of a 5th wheel and your towing rig.

Where do we put our generator? We have a Honda 2000 ...it sits on the floor in the back seat of our pickup.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I would think about 250 watt solar panel, and a 2000 watt Honda/yamaha generator and your set to go.and a good inverter is a plus. not going to run your A/C but good for most camping
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM 1500? Think in terms of maybe 5000GVWR fiver or 7000 pound GVWR TT. Anything more will seriously overload your vehicle with much more than a driver on board. As for generators? In the truck bed, on a carrier on the trailers rear bumper, lots of options. Why do you think you need a generator?

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that your truck is a 1/2 ton model is going to limit you tremendously on the size of 5th wheel you can tow, not only because of the truck's limited GCWR, but even more because of its GVWR and rear axle GAWR. Adding a generator to the mix complicates the situation even more since weight is your enemy in your situation.

I get electricity primarily from shore power when we're camped, from the truck's alternator which charges the RV's batteries when we're traveling, and from a pure sine wave inverter which powers the residential fridge when we're traveling or when neither source above is available. Aside from powering the inverter, the RV's batteries will, of course, power the 12 VDC loads in the 5th wheel when we have no other power available.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600