cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very good reason Not to scrimp on surge protectors.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
This past w/e we went to a new to us CG that said they had a 50 A site. Mind you, was told this was a older CG as well. Once on site, hooked up power via PI 50A EMS, went inside, turned on fridge and rear A/C. few seconds later, poof, nothing. Waited a minute, tried again, same thing. WTH? Go out to EMS box and lo-n-behold it's saying low voltage on 1 leg. Again, WTH? Have CG come check the outlet and their little radar says the same thing (low 100 volts). Just below it is a elect meter (ton of seasonals so more so for them), removes the meter, checks wires, same thing. Goes to main panel down by office and reports back that has same reading as well. Calls his electric buddy who says to call utility company cuz the problem lies w/ them/transformer. So needless to say we were able to run the BR A/C at least, micro at times. Oh, fridge even tripped the power on that leg alone. So we had both the fridge and water heater on gas.

All I can say is, "WHEW" and Thank God we had the PI EMS other wise it could have been very ugly for us. It DID it's job!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
36 REPLIES 36

I have been using the Progressive Industries EMS 50..Our first trip this year we kept being shut down due to low voltage ..

I now use a Hughes Autoformer 50 Amp Voltage Booster with Surge Protection which will boost low volatage up 10%

I may give my Progressive industries EMS 50 to my daughter as she just got her first RV
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a hard wired one into my Coleman, 30 AMP. Measures voltage high and low as well as surge, and polarity.

The following year was in the trailer doing some cleaning, plugged a vac in to clean up the floor and Bang, power out. WTH? Check the breakers, none tripped, then about 3 1/2 minutes since bang, click, power back on. OK now I am scratching my head(I had forgotten I installed the guard unit). Start the vac again and bang. This time I heard it more clearly, coming from behind the power panel and the lightbulb came on in my head. So I go out and look at the extension cord. Sure enough the cord was corroded causing a line voltage drop. DOH! I went and bought 100' of 6/3 outdoor cord, two 30 amp plug/socket, a UL box with 30 amp outlet and 6/3 indoor cable and wired in a dedicated 30 amp supply to feed the trailer. No more issues after that and could run the entire trailer.

Going to do the same with my new trailer, though it is a 50 amp, and this time put a readout in so I can see the actual voltages.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not comfortable with voltages lower than 107. I use an autoformer to correct the endemic low voltage at campgrounds. I check voltage under load before I plug in the RV.

So far as I am aware low voltage potentially may damage motors (air conditioner, microwave) and some converters. Resistance devices are ok with low voltage--they just have lower output. The power changes by the square of the voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
the most essential element of our rv gear

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
the most essential element of our rv gear

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly why I never go camping without it, never forget to use it and have a gas/electric fridge.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a good thing to have for sure. Glad that nothing was damaged for you and it worked as it should have.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K