cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC help needed

bigdave720
Explorer
Explorer
I got my previous low voltage problem taken care of. Holding in the 118 to 120 range now. New problem is my 14 year old Coleman Mach 15k ac.

I've had both sets of coils cleaned. New gasket installed due to small leak. Air coming from the vents stays right around 53ish degrees until outside temps start getting into the mid to upper 80's. At that point vent temps start increasing into the mid 60's. Once outside temps get into the 90's vent temps get into the 70's. Now I realize that is fairly normal. Problem is that once outside temps get into the 90's ac starts tripping the 20 amp breaker it runs on. Basically I have to shut it down completely from around noon until around 6pm daily with the current heatwave we've been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. I've replaced the breaker but that didn't help. What do I check now or am I to the point of needing to spring for a new ac?
2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G
16 REPLIES 16

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When your running AC are you connected to shore power or running off of generator? As temps go up more people on the grid turn on their air conditioners and that can sometimes make the power supply sag which will contribute to air conditioner problems.
Kevin

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like as the load increases the compressor is drawing too many amps and tripping the breaker once it reaches the breaker limit. A couple of causes, not in any particular order.

Compressor is starting to fail.

Loose wire connection somewhere along the electrical system of the compressor. At the breaker, at the compressor etc.

Clogged outdoor coil causing the compressor to work too hard in high heat conditions. Make sure the outside of the coil is free of tree cotton etc. I use a 3" paint brush with the bristles cut short to about 1-1.5 inches to clean the cotton off of my coil. Flush the coil from the inside out with a water hose.

Damage to outside of coil not allowing for proper air flow. May need to comb coil.

There may be a few other causes I am missing.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76