cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acceptable electrical load

Rvdude22
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon I have recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS. I am new to the world of RVs. With this in mind me and my wife are going to be living in the Rv full time. We do not plan on moving the rv for awhile since we have nothing big enough to pull it with. The RV is a 50 amp with a single ac at the moment I am planning on adding a second to help cool the rv. We are needing extra fridge and freezer space which we are planning on running a 4.5 cubic ft in the area where the bunk beds are and 5.3 cubic ft deep freezer that will sit out side. We also want to use a portable washer. The only other electronics that will be used is normal stuff that would be used for entertainment. With all of this information for what I am drawing for power. Will I need to do anything special to prevent electrical damage to anything in the rv? Also what are some tips that I should look for or do while living in the rv? Thank you anything is appreciated. 
18 REPLIES 18

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
All the electrical circuits are circuit breaker protected with the appropriate amp rating for the wiring to those circuits. And you have a main 50 amp circuit breaker for the incoming power. And, of course, there is the park power pedestal 50 amp breaker. If you exceed the amp rating of any of these that circuit breaker will trip before damage is done.

If you add devices and it trips one of your circuit breakers then you will know that there is too much running off that breaker. The you can try another circuit. If your breaker panel has spare slots, you might add a new breaker and run new wires to new outlet(s). And the 50 amp park pedestal almost always has a standard 20 amp 120 vac outlet. Use that with a good extension cord to run the outdoor freezer.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
To determine the power draw, all you do is add up the amps. Normally on a 50 amp RV the load is split or balanced between the two 50 amp legs. The A/C's are on different legs and a microwave would be on one leg with an A/C.

If you are plugging these into the RV, you need to determine which leg the plugs are on so that you do not overload one leg.

You may want to run a separate cord to the pedestal to power one of the units.

You may not be allowed to set one of your units outside. Many parks will not allow you to set appliances outside,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look into feeding the washer and extra refer/freezer from the rig's power source and not run it through the rig's system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not likely. 50A RV service is 120/240V which means you have two 50A 120V circuits giving you 12,000W available. That assumes the circuit supplying power can deliver that.

If you don’t have an easily available, weathertight GFCI outlet on the outside of the RV, you may want to supply the outside freezer from a protected GFCI outlet at the power source.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73