cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

air conditioner quit again

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Carriage we bought new. The Carrier brand living room air conditioner quit 3 years ago and we bought a new Coleman air conditioner which was equal to the Carrier AC that came in 5th wheel. Carrier does not make RV ACs anymore. Anyway the new Coleman AC quit so is now out of warranty! Coleman will not do anything about it. I would think it should have lasted more than 3 years!
We will now have to buy another Coleman AC and my husband and son will install it. The cheapest we have found is $817.29, with $165 for shipping. We had a 15,000 BTU, ducted, with heat pump. Have looked everywhere I know to look. No one stocks them in AZ and it has to be ordered. Some dealers say they can not order it in the books they use but did find some that did.
The compressor went out and no one sells a compressor any more to install in an air conditioner! So I guess a new one is only option.
Anyone have any ideas? I have tried to talk to the CEO of Coleman and no luck yet. I believe Coleman should do something for us. Maybe not complete replace value but something......
A Coleman is only AC that will fit and work with our wiring and will not have to be retrofitted. which was done when we bought the first Coleman.
Thankfully we have a bedroom air conditioner so that saves us somewhat.
Thanks
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.
24 REPLIES 24

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
pm sent

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Our air conditioner has a heat pump in it too. It is also ducted so we need one like this. I have the model number and looked into ordering that model number and Coleman makes it.
I will try looking on Amazon to see if they might have this one on there. Our model number is 48004-876. the replacement AC is 48004-966.
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure the caps or PTCR aren't bad?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
OK, the additional information helps. We've owned 5th wheels since 1996 with both Coleman and Dometic A/Cs and have yet to replace one. I did have a bad starting capacitor on one Coleman many years ago, but that's it. With multiple failures, it sounds like something else may be going on, but since your husband is an electrician, I'm sure he's checked for low supply voltage and other electrical-related potential problems.

Good luck on getting a replacement.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would be investigating why the failures are happening. Do you know what the voltage was when the air conditioner had run for several hours?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Rusty, when the compressor has oil all over it and fails to work that is probably the problem. No parts available to replace anything.
I still think a Coleman AC should last more than 3 years. We have had 4 different 5th wheels, last 2 were bought new, and this is the only one we have had trouble with the airconditioner.
Thank you anyway though.

This is a big 5th wheel and a 13,500 will not be enough, even though we have a 13,500 in the bedroom.
Thanks though. I saw those 13, and they are cheaper than the 15, but Will not keep up in southern temperatures.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with it? My electrician husband checked it, and the compressor quit and no replacements for compressors.... no longer available. No one manufactures them. for sale to public and do not think dealers will replace a compressor.. Have not found anyone who will.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it could be a simple as a starting capacitor. Do you REALLY know that it requires total replacement?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with it? It could be something simple.

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few options, some with FREE shipping: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rv+air+conditioner&sprefix=rv+air%2Caps%2C197
and there's a Coleman 13.5k for $683.10 w/FREE shipping.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto