Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alcan and 5th Wheel RV Problems

jimfromeagleriv
Explorer
Explorer
Alcan and 5th Wheel hitch problem 6/24/2013
The frame holding the hitch on my Montana 5th wheel trailer broke at the end of our trip up the Alcan Hwy. Is this common?

We live in Alaska and spent the winters of 2010/11 and 2012/13 in the lower 48. . We first noticed that the 5th wheel trailer was riding lower on the truck in Dawson Creek but didnโ€™t think it was serious. The obvious clue that there was a serious problem was around Beaver Creek when we noticed the trailer bouncing independently of the truck. We drove carefully to Tok.AK where we had Willardโ€™s Towing and Welding shop look at it. They found the cross member of the frame (a 2โ€x6โ€x1/8โ€ rectangular tubing) in front of the box that holds the 5th wheel hitch (pin) had split. The split started on the top edge of the tubing near a weld and had worked its way down to within an inch of the bottom. A 1โ€ angle Iron ( 1/8โ€ x 1โ€) that had been welded to the bottom of the rectangular tubing helped hold it together. Therefore we were lucky that we didnโ€™t try to make it the last 330 miles to Anchorage. We could have had a loose 5th on the hwy. They replaced the 1/8โ€ rectangular tubing with ยผโ€ rectangular tubing so it should be stronger now. This repair cost $3,500 but I have an appointment for a real RV repair shop to look at it in Anchorage.

The Alcan Hwy is rough in places due to frost heaves but it seemed to be better this year. The Canadians are very good at identifying brakes in the Hwy using small red flags but the US does not mark the rough spots nearly as well. The Alcan was very rough between Destruction Bay, YT and Tok, AK but the worst section was between the Beaver Creek border check point and the US border check point.

This was our 5th time on the Alcan with the 5th wheel which must have had an accumulative effect on the frame but I donโ€™t think it should have failed. This Montana is a 2004 mdl 2955RL with a GVWR of 12,140 lbs. The loaded weight for the 5th on the last trip was 11,940 lbs. and it was loaded the same this time so it was not overloaded. The total weight with my wife and I and Fred the wonder dog was 20,450 lbs. We pull it with a 2007 Dodge 3500 w/6.7L Cummins so it was not overloaded. My wife did most of the driving and she is a careful driver so it was not due to speed. On our two trips out for the winter we drove around 40K miles over frost heaves, breaks in the road and washboard conditions on the Alcan and, in my opinion, this Montana 5th wheel trailer was not built to withstand the Alcan road conditions, but it may be now.

I have pictures but don't know how to attach them.

Jim Mitchell
4 REPLIES 4

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
jimfromeagleriver wrote:
The cost to replace the 2"x6"x1/8" tubing with a 2"x6"x1/4" tubing plus removing and replacing the under panel and the front cap was $3,500. I think the primary reason it cost so much was location. Tok, Alaska is very isolated with only one garage that could do the work. The nearest supply of tubing was Anchorage which is 330 miles away or Fairbanks which is around 200 miles away. The welder claimed that he was a great welder. However, since they broke the under panel and did such a bad job re-caulking the seams they removed to get to the job, I have an appointment in Anchorage to inspect the welds, to replace the under panel and re-caulk the seams. So it will cost more that $3,500.

We were lucky to have identified the problem in an area that could make repairs to get us back on the road and also that our Allstate insurance paid for all but $100 of the repairs.

This experience leaves me questioning whether we should upgrade to another 5th or switch to a motor home. Which one holds up better?
Thanks, jim

I was wondering. It looks like this guy took advantage of your situation and really screwed you over. I am glad your insurance stepped up.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert frame again.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

jimfromeagleriv
Explorer
Explorer
The cost to replace the 2"x6"x1/8" tubing with a 2"x6"x1/4" tubing plus removing and replacing the under panel and the front cap was $3,500. I think the primary reason it cost so much was location. Tok, Alaska is very isolated with only one garage that could do the work. The nearest supply of tubing was Anchorage which is 330 miles away or Fairbanks which is around 200 miles away. The welder claimed that he was a great welder. However, since they broke the under panel and did such a bad job re-caulking the seams they removed to get to the job, I have an appointment in Anchorage to inspect the welds, to replace the under panel and re-caulk the seams. So it will cost more that $3,500.

We were lucky to have identified the problem in an area that could make repairs to get us back on the road and also that our Allstate insurance paid for all but $100 of the repairs.

This experience leaves me questioning whether we should upgrade to another 5th or switch to a motor home. Which one holds up better?
Thanks, jim

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Why was the repair $3500 ?
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150