cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpine and Pinnacle

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Lately, we have been looking at the two above referenced 5ers. Tonight I found a website full of customer comments. At least half of the comments for the Alpine and Pinnacle were very negative. Many had long lists of problems with brand new units. It sounds like the quality control for these two brands is very poor. So, two questions: 1. For owners of these two trailers, have you had many problems with your 5er? 2. What other brands are equivalent to these with, hopefully, better manufacturing workmanship?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
19 REPLIES 19

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
We have the '16 Pinnacle 38 FLSA as well. Love it and would buy this floorplan again.
Kevin and Beth Todd
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38 FLSA
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with the Internet reviews. It is like the wild west in nature where everything goes. A lot of people complain when some of it was their own fault, or competitors provide negative posts, or the manufacturer post stealth positive posts. Also it is very difficult to get a honest opinion because people do not want to do anything to threaten resale value.

The best way is determine what is adequate engineering and appliances. That will take some knowledge of how things should be built. Also be ware of catch phrases that marketing uses that are generally misleading.

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA and we absolutely love it. This is our second RV. The first was a 35' Layton TT and we had zero issues with it. We are hoping the Pinnacle is our last RV purchase. We chose the Pinnacle because we wanted the front living floorplan and we found the Pinnacle layout met our needs the best. One thing to consider with the newer FW's vs the older ones is all the bells and whistles that are put in these rigs now. When I think that I started camping in a 2-man pup tent and now I'm in a 42' FW with a full size shower, residential fridge with ice maker, satellite tv, and a fireplace; wow how camping has changed! It is literally a house on wheels. I have to say we are extremely happy with our choice. You sound like seasoned campers. I'm sure if you take your time, research what you want and do a thorough PDI, you will be happy with whatever you upgrade to.

Good luck!
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
If your research any brand on the internet you'll find mostly negative comments as people want to vent. These represent probably less than 1% of actual users so take the comments with a grain of salt. Find the layout and amenities you like and can afford and buy that unit. Do a thorough PDI and make sure the dealer fixes anything before the contracts are signed. Learn to fix things on your RV yourself or it will sit at the dealers for months waiting to be repaired, regardless of brand.

Agreed!! Not too many people get online and "gloat" about their problem-free RV, but have an issue and they go to town venting about it!!

I am very happy with my new Pinnacle so far. Not the same quality as my 2008 Eagle, but very happy. Obviously Jayco slipped on QC after the buy-out!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
One more thought: Our trailer, most certainly, won't last forever. So is there truly NO 5th wheel product one can buy and be reasonably certain it will be a quality unit and trouble free?
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Based on all of your comments we are keeping the 5er we have for as long as we can. This little Crossroads Cruiser had zero problems when we bought it. And now, eight years later, it has given us no problems what so ever (knock on wood). I guess we just got lucky, but the odds of being that lucky twice in a row seems remote.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep it cracks me up that folks Drank the Grand Design Koolaid Hearing that Brand was SOOOO..... much better I have 2 friends with GD's and they have been back to the Dealer many times(Bad Dealers)for service and I am NOT saying GD's are Bad but again pick ANY brand ya like and get a good dealer and do a long P.D.I and enjoy
sayoung wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
Yep just pick a floor plan ya like and buy from a good dealer and do a extensive P.D.I. and Enjoy, ALL brands build a Lemon sometimes and like was said before it helps to be a little bit of a handy Man and also I bought a 6 year Extended Warranty on all 3 of my 5er's just in case any "Big Stuff" went wrong and on 2 of my 5er's I traded in I got a Pro Rated Refund on my extended warranties because I never used them

I have had really good service from my Jayco dealer and saw more proof recently. I went with a friend to pickup their new 2019 Grand Design and the purchase inspection & dealer prep was horrible. I was not impressed with both the dealer or the rv. I think most brands need a thurough prep by dealer so find the best reputation dealer you can.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
TXiceman wrote:
Alpine is owned by Keystone, Jayco Pinnacle is owned by Thor. Pick your poison.

Ken

Keystone is also owned by Thor. One thing about Keystone. If you ever need after the sale support, as in going above the dealer level and directly to Keystone, I wish you lots of luck.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
Yep just pick a floor plan ya like and buy from a good dealer and do a extensive P.D.I. and Enjoy, ALL brands build a Lemon sometimes and like was said before it helps to be a little bit of a handy Man and also I bought a 6 year Extended Warranty on all 3 of my 5er's just in case any "Big Stuff" went wrong and on 2 of my 5er's I traded in I got a Pro Rated Refund on my extended warranties because I never used them

I have had really good service from my Jayco dealer and saw more proof recently. I went with a friend to pickup their new 2019 Grand Design and the purchase inspection & dealer prep was horrible. I was not impressed with both the dealer or the rv. I think most brands need a thurough prep by dealer so find the best reputation dealer you can.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alpine is owned by Keystone, Jayco Pinnacle is owned by Thor. Pick your poison.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Quality is an issue because RV are mostly hand built, The thing to look for is basic engineering. it is almost impossible to polish a T--d.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Alpine. Just had water leak at long curbside slide fixed by installing steel angle iron bracing to correct sagging edge when slide Is extended. Aluminum did not correct sagging BTW.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve read some of the complaints regarding the Alpine... half of what I read is hard to believe. Yes some folks have had some issues..and it’s nit just with Alpine. Some folks didnt realize the fifth wheel is a house on wheels that takes a beating on the roads.

There have been some issues with newest models wit( black tank or gray tank dropping out..poor support for tanks when assembled at factory.. I’d bet that issue is corrected..

Some issues with TPO roofing.. poor install

But if you take the time to look you will find the same issues wit( Heartland, Grand Design, Montana, etc, etc..

And yes..I own a 2014 Alpine towed all over the west in the last five seasons.. rough roads , etc have beat on the Alpine pretty hard...but nothing has fallen off..nothing has broken..and I’d buy another Alpine in a heart beat

Issues? 2 pieces of crown moulding came loose at edge..eas6 fix..warped bathroom door that happened right after we bought it.. bought in Feb..issue appeared in June when it warmed up..dealership ordered door and called me when it came in...didn’t even unhook waited while they installed new door..

Dealership service is KEY to your purchase..a thorough PDI looking st everything and getting it fixed right then..not months down the road..

And learning to take care of the nit noy items yourself..l