cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto level question

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
New 5th wheel has Lippert auto level. The manual says start on semi level ground. If the ground is not very level should I put blocks under it first? Does it matter if the auto level completely raises the tires off the ground?
Brian
19 REPLIES 19

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I like the levelers to be as short as possible for stability. I eyeball low spots and put blocks under those levelers.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote:
New 5th wheel has Lippert auto level. The manual says start on semi level ground. If the ground is not very level should I put blocks under it first? Does it matter if the auto level completely raises the tires off the ground?

We've had our unit's wheels off the ground several times. I don't think it matters weather the wheels "touch" the ground or not. We have yet to have a problem because one or two wheels were off the ground!

If you're on a site that is very unlevel, your level up system won't be able to level your trailer. We will get a message on the read-out stating "over stroke". That's when it's time to figure out which side is too low, place blocks under those rams and hit the "auto level" button again.

After a few excursions you'll get the hang of it! It doesn't happen very often so I wouldn't get too concerned. Good luck.

Dan

I am like Ron Popeal... I set it and forget it... Unless I am looking at my rig and saying OMG before unhooking, i am not doing anything... I Have had a wheel of the ground for a weekend already..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Brian,

I have the auto level on our Open Range. The first answer to your question is, the leveling system is not intended to be used a jack! That means, if the campsite is unlevel to the point the leveling system lifts the wheels off the ground, Boards should be placed under the tires to bring the camper close to level side to side.
Front to back after the trailer is reasonably level s to s, blocks can be used under the foot pads, as the extension of the legs is limited. Your system should tell you if one of the legs has run out of extension!
Remember, the tires are what support the weight of your trailer.

Bandaid

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have the lippert level up 3.0 on the North Point 315RLTS
I have a Level Master on my trailer. I use leveling blocks under the wheels if needed to get trailer level lift and right. I use wood blocks under the landing gear and unhook the trailer. I have Trailer Jack Blocks that I use under the 4 trailer jacks.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV