cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B and W hitch

Curlida
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry all for beating a dead horse, but when I wrote in about my hitch earlier, I was misinformed. When I purchased my hitch I was led to believe it would be a gooseneck with a Curt companion. After a nother visit to the installer (Leonard's, Burlington,NC) I am getting the gooseneck with a B and W 20k companion.After reading blogs and getting great advice I am convinced I do not need a slider. But I would still appreciate your input.i did some further research and measuring and following the B and W install manual I measured 44 3/4 inches from the back of my bed for the center of ball hole. I then called Camping world for the dimension from center of kingpin to end of cap, 16". I then measured 16 inches from center of hole in bed and the 16 inches forward from there.
From the end of that measurement I measure to back window and had 19" remaining.
Sorry this is so long,but then after reading the install manual it looks like they can mount the pivot arms back further and there is 4 more inches of adjustment on the head. I'm thinking that I should have plenty of clearance between cab and front of trailer, that I don't need a slider, as I've been told by some. Hitch is being installed Monday but I was hoping for feed back in case I have to schmooze the installer to let me change it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. All you guys have given us great advice so far, for dumb newbies. thanks again.
3 REPLIES 3

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like your dealer knew what hitch to sell you. You will thank him.

Af far as placement that is a "hit" and miss deal. Take dimensions from the outer edge of the front cap to the center of the kingpin and then from the back of the cab to determine where the hole in the 5th wheel should go. Hook up and see where you are. The farther forward you can mount your hitch the better.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure you are using the right measurements, the two one needs are 1) king pin to outer front edge/corner 5er, and 2) center 5th wheel plate to cab of truck.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well sound to me you added an extra 16"!

You pin will be within an inch or two of the Ball in the bed, so 16" forward of that point is where the front of the cap will be or about 35" back of the cab.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"