cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W hitch

driver75
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a B&W patriot fifth wheel hitch and when it comes time to remove it from the truck bed can it be lifted by one person.
19 REPLIES 19

krsmitty
Explorer
Explorer
Why I went to an Andersen hitch. Got tired of tearing the Valley into two pieces and lugging it in and out. Andersen weighs 43 pounds. I store it on my garage wall with 2 hooks.
Ken Smith
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 Big horn 4x4 6.7 CTD
2020 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on B&W hitches-super product.

cwooz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Driver75 -
I have a like-new B&W Patriot for sale if you are interested. It is an awesome hitch....only selling it because the new-to-me truck that I just got has the Companion system already installed, so I no longer have the need for the Patriot.
The head easily seperates from the base of the hitch. The head weighs about 25-30 lbs and is easy to remove and carry. The base, if I had to guess, weighs about 50 or 60 lbs and is not terrible to move. The two together can be done (I have done it) but it is a bit cumbersome.....mainly due to the shape and not so much the weight. For what its worth I am about 5'6" 175 lbs and medium build.
If you are interested in the hitch, email me at cswooz@gmail.com and I can send pics, etc. I am located in southern IN. We have only had our camper for a year, so the hitch is very lightly used
2011 Crossroads Cruiser CF29BHX
1990 Dodge D250 - Cummins/5-Spd

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
driver75 wrote:
I am considering buying a B&W patriot fifth wheel hitch and when it comes time to remove it from the truck bed can it be lifted by one person.

I =used= to be able to handle my Companion pretty easily, but age, injury and sitting on my tuchis in an office for a lot of years, made it easier to get a cheap engine hoist to lift it out all in one piece. I =can= do it, if necessary, but why take the chance of aggravating things? A lot of people use something similar, or, if you have rafters or overhead beams, a come-along, or chain/cable hoist (electric or manual) can be used. Get a cheap furniture dolly to set it on, and you can roll it around to wherever you need it. You won't regret getting a B&W product.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Companion on the turnover ball.
Best hitch on the market!
The base unit is 99#'s and the companion is 79#'s.
Knock wood I am still able to carry and move them at 71.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
webslave wrote:
I am in my 60's, have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis along with a slipped disk at L2-L3, and I take my Companion out "solo". So, yes, it can be a "one many job". I do have a hoist (for other things) and I have an electric winch mounted to the ceiling in another workshop area, but, I just back the truck to the garage door, seperate the head, place it on the tailgate, disconnect the base and put it on the tailgate, get out of the bed of the truck and put the base on the floor next to the door (up on blocks) and then replace the head on it. It sits there that way until I need it again and then I reverse the procedure. Would be too much if it were all one piece, and even seperated, the base is heavy, but, still manageable. If I'm having a "bad day", the DW helps get the base up onto the tailgate, but, she is only 5' and has a hard time lifting things that high, so I tend to do it myself. So, yes, one person can get one out and back in; help with almost anything, though, is always appreciated if available, but, if help isn't available, you aren't stuck. If you do need a lift or hoist, even for a B&W, you'd still need one for virtually any other hitch made...most don't come apart so you're stuck with the deadweight of a single piece. A B&W is probably your best bet for not needing a lifting device to remove it.

Before anyone chimes in; I am retired and have no desire to work for or involve myself with any company, but, like Cummins12V98, I think they (B&W) are probably, dollar for dollar, the best hitch out there and I don't mind saying so, either. While the B&W is "just a hitch", like anything else, you have various stages of "quality" in that category and like many other B&W owners, we think the B&W stands at the top of that stack based on form, build quality, features, ease of use and company support of the product.

Very well said!

The only tie I have to B&W is they make a very high quality foolproof IMHO hitch.

I have the same support for GoodYear G and H rated tires for RV's.

Also MaxBrake brake controllers.

trailertiresandwheelsccom

tweetys.com

I am a big time supporter of these products/services because of high quality products and customer service.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't know about the Patriot but I believe they use the same head as the Companion. The Companion is an excellent hitch and you'll never have to worry about dropping your 5th wheel with one of those. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SO TRUE!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
I am in my 60's, have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis along with a slipped disk at L2-L3, and I take my Companion out "solo". So, yes, it can be a "one many job". I do have a hoist (for other things) and I have an electric winch mounted to the ceiling in another workshop area, but, I just back the truck to the garage door, seperate the head, place it on the tailgate, disconnect the base and put it on the tailgate, get out of the bed of the truck and put the base on the floor next to the door (up on blocks) and then replace the head on it. It sits there that way until I need it again and then I reverse the procedure. Would be too much if it were all one piece, and even seperated, the base is heavy, but, still manageable. If I'm having a "bad day", the DW helps get the base up onto the tailgate, but, she is only 5' and has a hard time lifting things that high, so I tend to do it myself. So, yes, one person can get one out and back in; help with almost anything, though, is always appreciated if available, but, if help isn't available, you aren't stuck. If you do need a lift or hoist, even for a B&W, you'd still need one for virtually any other hitch made...most don't come apart so you're stuck with the deadweight of a single piece. A B&W is probably your best bet for not needing a lifting device to remove it.

Before anyone chimes in; I am retired and have no desire to work for or involve myself with any company, but, like Cummins12V98, I think they (B&W) are probably, dollar for dollar, the best hitch out there and I don't mind saying so, either. While the B&W is "just a hitch", like anything else, you have various stages of "quality" in that category and like many other B&W owners, we think the B&W stands at the top of that stack based on form, build quality, features, ease of use and company support of the product.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know about the Patriot but I believe they use the same head as the Companion. The Companion is an excellent hitch and you'll never have to worry about dropping your 5th wheel with one of those. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
alageezer wrote:
I also highly recommend the Patriot, and the purchase from Tweetys. I'm 66 and disabled, but could manage the head fine, the base with some effort.

I just wish people would at least check them out and compare to the others.

I can't stand the clunk that you get with some of the other hitches.

As adamant as you are about B & W I have to guess you are involved somehow with them, after all they are just a hitch, and serve only one purpose.

To the op as said before check with B & W to get the correct weights, and see if it something you can handle. I chose with my hitch to mount a small electric hoist to the ceiling of my garage, and then set it on a small wheeled cart, and rolled to the corner of the garage out of the way.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
alageezer wrote:
I also highly recommend the Patriot, and the purchase from Tweetys. I'm 66 and disabled, but could manage the head fine, the base with some effort.

I just wish people would at least check them out and compare to the others.

I can't stand the clunk that you get with some of the other hitches.

alageezer
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bounder Classic

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
According to Amazon it is 95#+/-. 250 sounds like a Trailer Saver not a Curt. Mine comes out slick. The head comes off first which is in the 30# range and then the rest. I threw out a Reese after I got this one and would never buy anything else!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Many use an engine hoist to remove a 5th wheel hitch from the bed of their tow vehicle.

Take the hitch apart and then use the engine hoist to lift the parts off of the tailgate. Or rig a hoist from the garage roof joists.

The base piece is large and off balanced but can be carried by one person.