cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Patriot or Pullrite ISR Super 5th?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to replace my RBW hitch and have narrowed the choices down to the B&W Patriot or the Pullrite ISR Super 5th. Checking to see if anyone on here has experience with both, your preference, and the pros/cons. I'm going to use my existing rails. Thanks.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
29 REPLIES 29

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
These replies have been great. I'm leaning towards the B&W, but it appears from the replies that I could do equally as well with the Pullrite. My current hitch is an RBW. I contacted B&W for specific measurements and the Patriot definitely will not fit my rails. It appears I do not have the "universal" rails so I will have to get new rails as well. That's not a big deal other than if they would not fit my current brackets which are welded to the truck frame. Whatever, I'm sure I'll be able to adapt things once I've made my choice.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have any experience with Pullrite, but I did replace my old crappy Curt with a Patriot this past spring. I live it. I am 6'1" and have no problem reaching the handle on my Chevy Dually. Now putting the pin in the hole to lock it open is another story all together. I need a block of wood if I want to do that. The jaws fit the pin so tight that I dont think it is possible to high hitch as well. No more banging and clunking going down the road either. I reused my old rails as well and I had it from the box to mounted in the truck in less than an hour. I bought mine from Rigid Hitch in MN. www.rigidhitch.com dirt cheap but we are a dealer so I got it at cost. ๐Ÿ™‚
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
As for the Pullrite service, it's the same as B&W. You call them, you get a real person and they honor their warranty no questions asked. I bent a pin on mine because we tried to use the Blue Ox Bed Saver. That caused high hitching. So even tho the problem was not theirs they fixed it for us.

And yes the jaw wraps around the pin, not like the Reese hitches.

IMHO you don't need a bedsaver with a B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite and love it.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We had a drawtite slider for 8 years and replaced it with a B&W Patriot. B&W is a great hitch we are very satisfied.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if I had one already and found it to be an issue that is a possiblity, but not a selling point for buying one.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm lucky to be 6'8". I have no trouble reaching the handle.
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The handle on the Patriot can be lengthened easily. It's held on with just two bolts. It's one of my winter 'to do' projects. I have no trouble climbing on the rear tire to hookup. I would still have to reach inside to hook up the brake safety cable anyway.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
I have used the B&W patriot on a friends truck, the dual jaw design is similar to the reese version. For a short person I found the handle actuator actually very difficult to use as I would have to jump on the tires to use it. Otherwise, the hitch worked well and locked in, no different then other 2 jaw deigns.

In my truck I have the Pullright ISR (ISR uses standard 5th wheel rails like the patriot.) I like it because I can reach the release and pull it towards me, no need to climb the truck. I have no had any issues with high hitching because if the king pin is too high the Pullright would not activate and latch. The jaw circles the entire kingpin and locks well into place and it cannot pop loose once you place a pad lock or carabiner to lock the release handle in the latched state. I use a carabiner for that as well as the place to secure my emergency brake cable.

One intersting thing with the pullright, if there is any pressure on the jaw you cannot pull the release handle, so I always have to remember to chock the trailer and bump backwards before disconnecting.

I am 6'2", and have a 2012 ford Dually.. and cannot reach the handle on my Patriot without some assistance. I use a 3 step stepladder and climb over the rail. (vs get wet when its raining)
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the B&W patriot on a friends truck, the dual jaw design is similar to the reese version. For a short person I found the handle actuator actually very difficult to use as I would have to jump on the tires to use it. Otherwise, the hitch worked well and locked in, no different then other 2 jaw deigns.

In my truck I have the Pullright ISR (ISR uses standard 5th wheel rails like the patriot.) I like it because I can reach the release and pull it towards me, no need to climb the truck. I have no had any issues with high hitching because if the king pin is too high the Pullright would not activate and latch. The jaw circles the entire kingpin and locks well into place and it cannot pop loose once you place a pad lock or carabiner to lock the release handle in the latched state. I use a carabiner for that as well as the place to secure my emergency brake cable.

One intersting thing with the pullright, if there is any pressure on the jaw you cannot pull the release handle, so I always have to remember to chock the trailer and bump backwards before disconnecting.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
They are both good hitches, why the Patriot and not the Companion? That way you'd be comparing equivalent hitches. Our Pullrite is very well built and has a rotating jaw that securely locks the king pin in place. The same as the B&W.

The OP wants to use his existing rails, so the Companion will not work.

The pullrite hitches in general have a good reputation. I have no personal experience with them.

I can speak for the Patriot, and it is a very good hitch, at a reasonable price. Check on the price of the Patriot at Tweety's. They should also have free shipping.

Jerry

x2 on the Patriot and Tweety's.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
8ntw8tn wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the prices on Tweety's; the B&W Patriot is on sale. That's in favor of it, but by no means the determining factor. Quality, reliability, and ease of use are most important.

The company behind the product is also a major factor. B&W stands behind their products 100%. That's just as important as the product itself.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:
B&W hands down

I vote B&W, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

oldbiker7
Explorer
Explorer
jujububbajr wrote:
I have a patriot and love it, but if I were buying again I'd get the 3250 welded base. Just a little more from croft trailer.

I agree - I don't think the welded base was available when I got my B&W but after seeing one the other day I would go that way instead of bolting it together - just one less thing to worry about.
2013 GMC 3500 Duramax CCSB 4x4, 19.5 wheels/tires, Hellwig anti-sway bar, airbags, Torklift Stableloads
2013 Arctic Fox 811