cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing on wrong side

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm supposed to pick up my 40' 5th wheel friday and have been watching youtube videos on how to back.

All of the videos say to have the place you are backing into on the drivers side. Well, our driveway is not on the drivers side - its the opposite and I cannot see sitting in the wrong lane the first time I attempt to back this rig up.

Any suggestions on best way to do this?
50 REPLIES 50

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I back mine in from wrong side. An experienced spotter is great, but good mirrors are next best. I put some pieces of orange safety tape (duct tape) on the line in driveway, that I want my passenger side tires to follow. I can see the FW tires and tape, in mirror, just need wife to watch garage eve, that I end up being 4"s from, when clear of the sidewalk.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Practice, practice, practice. Don't let the first time you back be at the campground with lots of onlookers. Get out there and spend a few hours backing up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ambitious to start off with a 40 footer! Practice and larger mirrors are two good suggestions. "Our" driveway suggests you have someone to be a spotter. Buy two walkie talkies. Borrow a small utility trailer and practice Monday to Thursday. Small trailers are more difficult IMO. Use mirrors only. You Tube is nice but not real.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Until you get your "markers" set, so that you know when to cut the wheel, put a small orange cone on the corners of the driveway, this should help some.
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Practice in a large open parking lot with cheap orange cones from Walmart. There will likely be times you will encounter the same problem at an RV park or campground.

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
If you cannot see it, I'd suggest that your right side mirror is likely too small, or improperly aligned.
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB