cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Issue

murals4you
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having a terrible time with our Black Tank for a year or so! When we are camping for a couple of days first when you press the pedal down to flush it has a blup & then it goes down and then every time you flush it gergels for a few minutes. After another day or so the waste is visible and I have to use my hose that is made to clear clogs. It buys me another couple days is all. I know it sounds like a Venting problem so I put a water hose down the Black Tank Vent on the roof a couple of feet, opened the dump valve with a clear piece on my dump hose and then turned the water on. Yep, it came out thru the hose, so to me that meant the vent was clear, right? So I figured it would be good now. Went camping last weekend & it was the same!

OK, smart guys, what is going on?

Bob
Bob & Josie Pruner
www.motorcyclemurals.com
1997 33' Collins 5th
1997 Dodge 3500 dually
Sugar & Spice (13 year old Veteran camping Yorkies)
21 REPLIES 21

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with one of the fifth wheels I owned. The sewer drop line that goes into the tank was installed too far down into the tank. It was only about 1 inch from the bottom of the tank. I brought it into a RV dealer ( cleaned out) and they reset it to the proper position. Never had a problem again with it.

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Could be a poop pyramid right at the bottom of toilet dump line
OR
could be the vent line is too long (sticks to far down into tank).

Remember.....waste tanks are long, wide but not really very deep.

I am trying to get "poop pyramid" out of my head!!!:S
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

murals4you
Explorer
Explorer
I have done the ice thing several times but it still persists!

Bob
Bob & Josie Pruner
www.motorcyclemurals.com
1997 33' Collins 5th
1997 Dodge 3500 dually
Sugar & Spice (13 year old Veteran camping Yorkies)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
murals4you wrote:
I have been having a terrible time with our Black Tank for a year or so! When we are camping for a couple of days first when you press the pedal down to flush it has a blup & then it goes down and then every time you flush it gergels for a few minutes. After another day or so the waste is visible and I have to use my hose that is made to clear clogs. It buys me another couple days is all. I know it sounds like a Venting problem so I put a water hose down the Black Tank Vent on the roof a couple of feet, opened the dump valve with a clear piece on my dump hose and then turned the water on. Yep, it came out thru the hose, so to me that meant the vent was clear, right? So I figured it would be good now. Went camping last weekend & it was the same!

OK, smart guys, what is going on?

Bob

Are you hooked up to sewer and if so do you leave the black tank valve open?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
That was also my thought biscuit... a poop pyramid.

I have never tried it but I understand the ice works well in breaking loose that blockage.
You may try running a water hose full blast down the toilet to clear the obstruction.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Empty it, put in about 5 gallons of water and 10 lb of ice, drive a few miles, dump and flush tank. May get pile of poo out. Can't hurt.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be a poop pyramid right at the bottom of toilet dump line
OR
could be the vent line is too long (sticks to far down into tank).

Remember.....waste tanks are long, wide but not really very deep.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31