cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank valve replacement

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS and wondering if anyone else has one? I needed to replace the black tank valve and wondering if anyone has had this problem with this particular model? I thought I would tackle this job and I did not think this was beyond my wheel house. Well I checked out Youtube and got a few videos to make sure it was something I could do. So I gave it a try. I got the valve out but it took quite a bit of time and after doing so I still amazed I got it out, in fact I still am scratching my head on this one. The piping was so tight I had to tear the seals to get the valve out. Well the new valve came with new seals so that was not the problem. Getting the new valve in is impossible. I even had my wife come under to help me and I showed her the trouble I was having and she said the same thing that it was impossible! At 130.00 / hour labor I thought I could save some money. Up to this point I have not done anything the rv dealer would not have done.
Thanks,
Bill
6 REPLIES 6

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update, and glad you got it fixed. I've had projects like that, and once you commit there is no turning back.

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I have not responded sooner but I wanted to make sure the job was complete. It is I think but it was not the easiest repair job. I did have to cut the down pipe and use a slip coupling. But cutting the pipe was my last resort, so I thought. At one time I had all 3 valves taken out thinking maybe I could put the valves back in an order that worked. But like TXiceman mentioned the manufacturers leave no slack for replacement, and after taking it all apart and listening to my rv dealer, yes there is no room for replacement. This is a long story but I won't bore anyone with it. However, I have a good rapport with the service staff at the dealer I do business with and this service guy told me how to do this. Take a ratchet strap and hook it on the cross brace that the tank hangs on, then circle it around the tank, continue by the tank opening and keep going around the other side of the tank and hook your ratchet to the cross brace on the other side of the tank. Then start ratcheting, you only need maybe 1/2 inch but I was concerned about cracking the tank. I was assured it would be ok, and it was but let me tell you this did seem a little crazy. I was worried about the plumming going up to the stool and sink because they also had a pipe coming down from the bathroom sink too. Anyway I did get it ratcheted enough to replace the valve but it was very tiring and frustrating at times. This was my first valve replacement (and hope my last) but I don't know if the non-cable valve systems are any easier to replace. My guess is that they are not! JMO. Thanks again to all who contributed suggestions as it was helpful! Bill

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
phil-t wrote:
I don't know your specific setupb - PICs? If in that predicament and there was enough exposed pipe I would cut it, cut small section out to give yourself the room needed, install an appropriate sized Fernco fittting, and install the new valve.

EXACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most manufacturers fit up and glue in place and leave no slack for a replacement. You may have to unclamp down stream and possibly install a Rubber slip coupling is the pipe to have enough slack to get it installed.

SLIP COUPLING

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you loosen or remove some of the downstream pipe hangar(s) enough to wiggle the new valve in place? If not, I'm with Phil-t on this one.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know your specific setupb - PICs? If in that predicament and there was enough exposed pipe I would cut it, cut small section out to give yourself the room needed, install an appropriate sized Fernco fittting, and install the new valve.
2014 Allegro 36LA