cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Sky RV Insurance

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Having an issue here, am wondering if this is normal, or what to do.
I have had Blue Sky RV Insurance since I purchased my trailer in 2014. never had a claim, til now.
On 08/06/16, My Sunnybrook was accidentally burned up, while I was working on replacing the flooring. Sadly, it was my own accident that caused it.
I filed a claim on 08/08/16. I was told later by the adjuster of a company called RIS Risk Management Services, that my trailer was valued at $25,800, but, repairs were over $28,000, thus, exceeding the limits of my policy.
I have fully answered all their questions, including a notarized affidavit of vehicle fire.
On 08/17/16, the adjuster requested a notarized power of attorney to dispose of my trailer. I asked about my personal property, still in the basement, that had not been damaged. he stated I would be notified before they towed my trailer, and would be able to get my property. On 08/19/16, the salvage company showed up, with no notification, and towed it away. The adjuster would not have had the power of attorney yet, to dispose of my trailer. Now. I am being told I need to drive 2 hours 1 way, between 9 am - 3 pm, only monday through friday, to recover my personal property. No allowances will be made, and they won't pay to return my trailer to recover my property, even though they did not have the power of attorney, prior to towing it.
On 08/23/16, they asked for the lien holders phone number, and I provided it. I was told at this point "it is under review".
On 08/26/16, they asked for a receipt for the flooring I had purchased, I was not able to provide that, as I did not have it anymore.
At this point, it is still under review. Over 1 month after filing the claim.
I am very disappointed in their customer service. I rarely talk to my adjuster. I will leave a voice mail, and a day or two later I will get an e-mail answering my question, not a call back, an e-mail. Sometimes it takes as long as 4 days.
Is it normal to take this long?
Is this just a shady company?
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
In their defense, they did see this post, and have now called me twice today saying they hope to have the claim resolved by the end of this week. I"ll keep you posted.
I have only had to have a few insurance claims in my life, it never took this long, so I was not sure if it was normal, or what to expect.
Thanks for all the input.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
It's only been a month, I wouldn't fret too much. A few years ago, my neighbor across the street backed into my SUV. It was plainly her fault, she admitted it, and it said do in the police report.

Because I have full coverage, and I'd rather deal with my own insurance company, I paid the deductible and waited to get it back when they settled. Surprisingly, this took more than four months.

Her insurance company, geico, kept sending me letters stating "we haven't settled the claim yet because we haven't paid it yet". Glad I don't have geico.

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Call your state insurance commission. Get them involved and Blue Sky will start responding. All it takes is 1 letter.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
When we had to use ours 2 years ago. They did not speed the claim up. But did get it done in a time I felt was ok. They did take longer then I thought they should have, when they figured out they needed more pics. Caused our parts to be ordered a few weeks late.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I quit Blue Sky over their length of time to pay a claim. It was a pretty simple comprehensive claim. The independent adjuster wouldn't report his finding to BS. Took em over 8mo. to pay...Camper sat at the body shop for 6mo. It was a joke.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
readytow wrote:
darsben1,
yes, in the end, they did get the poa, but, it was not received prior to it being moved. And yes, I understand the whole they think I purposely torched it. I did not. But, should it really take this long, and keep being told it is under "review"? Funny thing is I did send them a screen shot for tools bought for the repair, it shows in the screen shot I sent them, a pretty healthy bank balance. I have never had an rv claim, so don't know if this is just them, normal, or what.

I guess the length of time would depend on whether they hired a PI firm to check your background and talk to neighbors or just pull your financials and go from there. If they hired a PI firm then it all depends on when the firm gets around to investigating you and writing up their report..
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1,
yes, in the end, they did get the poa, but, it was not received prior to it being moved. And yes, I understand the whole they think I purposely torched it. I did not. But, should it really take this long, and keep being told it is under "review"? Funny thing is I did send them a screen shot for tools bought for the repair, it shows in the screen shot I sent them, a pretty healthy bank balance. I have never had an rv claim, so don't know if this is just them, normal, or what.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Go get your stuff the angst and heartburn are not worth the fight..
As far as the call/email situation that is the way of customer service today. If I were you I would use the email exclusively to communicate that way there is no misunderstanding..
If you want to be an A$$ report the rig stolen as it was taken without a proper authority. Did you give them POA in the end? If you did then disregard previous advice. Instead report them to your states insurance commissioner.
My guess is they are trying to figure out if you had a reason to torch the rig. They are probably looking at your finances to see if it may have been purposely set.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind