cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you jump your 5’er with your truck?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, If I’ve seen this before I don’t remember it. Can you jump your 5’er batteries from the truck?
32 REPLIES 32

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the trailer battery bank is low, for whatever reason, plug into the truck as per usual & run the truck as fast idle for a bit before trying heavy draw things like slides.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
If you are concerned about slides and jacks with dead trailer batteries you could plug trailer umbilical cord into the truck (with truck running) and have enough power to use the jacks and pull in the slides.
I guess so, but that doesn't jibe with the comment above about how cables will get hot. Hot comes from a lot of amps. Umbilicals don't carry a lot of amps.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you wanting to “jump” the trailer? If you are concerned about slides and jacks with dead trailer batteries you could plug trailer umbilical cord into the truck (with truck running) and have enough power to use the jacks and pull in the slides.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Mondooker wrote:
My unit has two 6 volt batteries, four 6 volt batteries actually.
Together it is one big 12v battery. Connect on the right terminals and all will work fine.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
To maybe pull in a slide or raise the jacks? Why not? But, your cables are going to get REAL hot.
Hot? Running jacks?

That's 25 foot of cable that'll be needed. You should see how hot my in bed transfer pump cables would get....and they were only 12' long.

6X2=12volt

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
It takes two 6v batteries wired in series to make a 12v. If you were to jump them you need to connect one cable to each battery NOT both cables to one.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
My unit has two 6 volt batteries, four 6 volt batteries actually. Hopefully the solar will keep the batteries up? But great to know the truck batteries could be used if necessary.

Thanks guys

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very few if any 5er's use 6 volts. They may have 2 6 volt batteries wire in series to give 12 volts but nothing in them runs on 6 volts. you would need to jump 12 volt to 12 volt.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn’t sure you could jump a 6 volt batterie with a 12 volt battery?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
To maybe pull in a slide or raise the jacks? Why not? But, your cables are going to get REAL hot.
Hot? Running jacks?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Why not?
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Not sure what you mean by jump. Do you mean can you link your truck batts to your FW to charge them - like with jumper cables? Don't most do this when you plug in the tow power cable? But yes, using cables would be the same as linking them together, just temporarily.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.