Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying extra fuel in garage

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone do this?
At first I thought no way... Then it occured to me that the toys have fuel in them, and they are in the garage. I would of course run with the wall vents open.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
21 REPLIES 21

dedmiston
2.5 weeks. Man. That sounds great.

Will you really run out of propane?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This feedback is encouraging. One of my favorite areas is pretty far off the beaten path. Fuel always runs about 2.00 a gallon more there. So I want to avoid buying it there if possible. This is also a place where we put a LOT of miles on the quads. and we will be there about 2.5 weeks.
To help matters, we will use our Honda 2000s most of the time, and I did a mod to the Momentums fuel tanks that will allow the entire 60 gallons to be used for the toys. And I will load up the bed of the truck as much as possible, but I have to bring extra propane as well, so that will eat up some bed space. But I "think" most of the fuel will ride in the bed. I may need to carry a little in the garage.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

dedmiston
ndrorder wrote:
Watch plastic jugs for swelling due to temperature and elevation changes. Most jugs don't vent by themselves due to environmental reasons. Secure jugs near the open vents if possible.

Good point. I always fill my 5-gal jugs with six gallons of gas during these colder winter months, but that's when they're in the bed of my truck. Definitely don't overfill the jugs like that if you're carrying them inside.

This is still an interesting question though. I never carry fuel in my garage like that, but I've carried plenty of bikes that would leak a little gas and I never felt like we were a rolling bomb. My bikes don't hold five gallons though.

Whether it's bikes or gas jugs, the key is to secure them well enough that they can't tip over. I've had bikes tip over before and it's a big fat mess.

I always make sure and fill my SxS before we load up, because the 10 gallon tank is ten gallons of usable storage. I never have to worry about the SxS tipping over in the garage though. Or if it does, the car would be the least of my worries.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Lots and lots of people do.

It becomes a non issue as long as the vents are open. Have the second vent open for better air flow. The fumes will vent out the lower vent which is usually well below any ignition sources.

Watch plastic jugs for swelling due to temperature and elevation changes. Most jugs don't vent by themselves due to environmental reasons. Secure jugs near the open vents if possible.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look at killing all the 12v in the house (even if the gas is in the toy's tank). I wouldn't trust these devices to be ignition protected.

Obviously, you need to keep brakes & brake lights connected.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
Plastic tanks on a dirt bike or a quad vs. plastic fuel jugs...

Close them tightly and secure them.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
Huntindog, I did it a few time when we'd boon dock someplace and knew I'd burn through the fuel in our onboard tank and wanted to make sure we had enough for the generator. I placed them against the back wall, strapped in place with the garage vents open. I had (well still have) the 5 gallon square jugs and I always kept a can with our Toy Hauler since access to the fuel hose wasn't always in a good spot to fill our ATVs.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon