cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChinaBombs

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new Augusta AF34RS Fifth wheel with Rainier 235/80/R16 Chinese Tires. They only have about 2000 miles on them including the trip from factory to Texas. There is already a bubble on the sidewall of one of the tires. We are going today to buy some Bridgestone 245/75/R16 R-250'S . We don't want to risk safety or tearing up our new rig. Hope the bridgestones will be good dependable tires. Its terrible that we have to Buy Chinabombs with our new trailers and just throw them away. Dad Gum Beancounters.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!
31 REPLIES 31

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my CBs with only 3,000 miles....I wanted to sleep well at night and not worry about a bad blow out....I have XPS RIBS. They look good after 4.5 years of use.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
China bombs will continue to exist until we buyers refuse to purchase our RVs with them installed.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
While China builds premium tires one China tire company rep stated 80% of their orders from USA buyers were for the cheapest lines that that they build. Saving $25 per tire when you use 10,000 tires a year is like a quarter of a million dollars savings in just one year so you can see why they do it. Some when they order new TT's upgrade the tires and axles before the building process starts. That makes good sense for your own use but not if you are selling new TT's.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
After reviewing the specs for your trailer I want to strongly advise you not to use any replacement tires with less load capacity than what your axles have been certified to carry by the vehicle manufacturer.

The DOT allows and directs RV trailer manufacturers to set the trailer’s axle ratings and depict that information as the GAWR for each axle on the trailer’s federal certification label. The DOT further directs the RV trailer manufacturer to select tires for fitment to those axles and then set the recommended tire pressure for those tires.

The American tire industry is very consistent in their directions to their retailers about replacement tire sizes. They say - in part - to use replacement tires equal or greater in size and load capacity to those provided as Original Equipment with your trailer.

FastEagle

p.s. The trailer’s certification label can be found (unobstructed) on the LH forward external portion of your trailer.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Maxxis is a Jappense company. Their ST tires have been manufactured in Thailand for a number of years. Chris

Sorry, Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

I stand corrected on HQ location. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
15K GVWR makes one believe that it would have 7K axles for tires rated to 3520. Sounds like GY G614 tires are in order for this one. Not that the R250's will have trouble operating at their full load without issues.

According to Tredit site this Rainier ST235/80R16E is rated to 3520, yet another example of how ST tires do not abide by any industry standards. For years ST235/80R16's where rated to 3420. Then the trailer manufacturers started using 7K axles. Duro lead the charge rebranding 3420 tires to 3505 pounds. Saw a set on a Carriage where the rebrand was right over the molded in Max rating.

At one point it took ST235/85R16's at 80 lbs inflation or ST235/80R16 at 85 pounds inflation to break the 3500 barrier, but that was either a tire diameter or wheel pressure rating issue, so magically the ST235/80R16E at 80 pounds can now cover a 7K axle. Go figure!!! Read all about it's reliability in tire threads like this one!

But like Barry Smith says no one gets hurt, so this is what we get, cheap a$$ delivery and show only tires. They just fail to include a sticker that says "Delivery and show tires must be replaced before actual loading and use occurs!" Where is 20-20 or 60 minutes to do a segment on these low life tires.

Chris

I have one of those Carriages...Duro stamped 85 psi over the 80 and load rating increased. Amazing.

Anyway...for the OP, while there are certainly quality issues with China tires, I think the biggest culprit here is the manufacturer using a static weight rating system to determine how little tire they can get away with. These tires, which are almost always right at their max capacity, don't stand a chance in the real world of weight transfer and other road forces exerted on trailer tire.
Without question, I would move up a tire rating for your application. Hopefully, your wheels can hold the 110 psi required for a G rated tire.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Maxxis is a Jappense company. Their ST tires have been manufactured in Thailand for a number of years. Chris

Sorry, Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
In a general sense, we buy nothing made in China. I can go on for hours about the lack of morals (as related to ours). In general, quality suffers greatly. IMHO, quality doesn't cost, it pays. Especially considering that our investments in RV's of any type is considerable, and risking a big loss because of poor equipment is a bad bet.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
diesel man 03 wrote:
Are the Maxxis tires made in the US? I know the Goodyear Marathon tire is not and they are suppose to be a good tire.

Marathon tires are a joke. 3 failures in less than 3 years (2years in service) properly inflated too.

Needless to say I went from load range E to G. Never buying another goodyear product.
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
diesel man 03 wrote:
Are the Maxxis tires made in the US? I know the Goodyear Marathon tire is not and they are suppose to be a good tire.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er came with the Chinese crap, too. When they developed the bubbles, I called the mfr and requested a new set. They sent me another set of chinese junk with another name printed on them. They developed the bubbles quickly, too. I then bought some Firestone Transforce.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
15K GVWR makes one believe that it would have 7K axles for tires rated to 3520. Sounds like GY G614 tires are in order for this one. Not that the R250's will have trouble operating at their full load without issues.

According to Tredit site this Rainier ST235/80R16E is rated to 3520, yet another example of how ST tires do not abide by any industry standards. For years ST235/80R16's where rated to 3420. Then the trailer manufacturers started using 7K axles. Duro lead the charge rebranding 3420 tires to 3505 pounds. Saw a set on a Carriage where the rebrand was right over the molded in Max rating.

At one point it took ST235/85R16's at 80 lbs inflation or ST235/80R16 at 85 pounds inflation to break the 3500 barrier, but that was either a tire diameter or wheel pressure rating issue, so magically the ST235/80R16E at 80 pounds can now cover a 7K axle. Go figure!!! Read all about it's reliability in tire threads like this one!

But like Barry Smith says no one gets hurt, so this is what we get, cheap a$$ delivery and show only tires. They just fail to include a sticker that says "Delivery and show tires must be replaced before actual loading and use occurs!" Where is 20-20 or 60 minutes to do a segment on these low life tires.

Chris

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does that have 6,000 lb. or 7,000 lb. axles? It kind of looks like the LT tires could be right at their limit when the trailer is at GVW.

That's if I'm looking at the right 5th wheel. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my tires that came on my 2013 Forest River load range C with Maxxis load range E for s---s and giggles. Peace of mind ...............PRICELESS
charles weidman