cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChinaBombs

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new Augusta AF34RS Fifth wheel with Rainier 235/80/R16 Chinese Tires. They only have about 2000 miles on them including the trip from factory to Texas. There is already a bubble on the sidewall of one of the tires. We are going today to buy some Bridgestone 245/75/R16 R-250'S . We don't want to risk safety or tearing up our new rig. Hope the bridgestones will be good dependable tires. Its terrible that we have to Buy Chinabombs with our new trailers and just throw them away. Dad Gum Beancounters.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!
31 REPLIES 31

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ST Bombs existed way before China Bombs! ST Bombs were made by many companies right here in the good old USA, primarily for utility trailers. Therein lies one of the major issues. The original design that has changed very little over the years was never intended for large tall travel trailers. They were designed as light wight, cheap, low mileage, local service and short life span tires.

Chris

Agree (almost) completely! - USA or China, ST = "ST Bombs"
(Thought I "opinioned" that also, LOL!)

Only caveat would be - "designed primarily for utility trailers."

The USA GY Marathon failures on RV Trailers go way back - however, if you are correct (in re: utility trailers) 'somebody' took a lot of RVers to the cleaners!

Sure would think a reputable company like Air Stream (famous for lightweight, expensive aluminum TTs) would equip their product with a *quality* ST tire (if there is/was one available) - or *not* STs.

Goodyear Marathon Failures - "Air Forums"

SP Times. "Marathons" are in the 5th paragraph, under "Human Toll"

BTW -
I had a 1992 19' Terry TT factory equipped with (ST) GY Marathons made in the USA. The Marathons did very well - still *looked* beautiful after about 8 years. Swapped 'em due to "old age".

My 2006 Jayco 5th was factory equipped with (ST) GY Marathons - made in the USA. (Made it about a year - and didn't look beautiful).

The '06 USA tires must have had some of the same "inferior materials" used by the Chinese (that laknox refers to)..;)

The ST Bombs:
(IMO) ST tires, regardless of country of origin *ARE* built "to spec".

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
bobx2 wrote:
You can interpret Taiwan any way you feel fits your argument, but it's still China.

No 'argument' necessary.

Better statement would be - both countries are populated by Chinese..:R

North Korea and South Korea are both "Korean". Are they the same?.:S

Next time you cross the border from Mexico to the USA, when the MX border inspector asks your nationality - tell him you are an American.

Usually won't fly as he is an "American" also...:S

~

BTW "laknox" - PRC (not POR) - for People's Republic of China - the communist one, LOL!
Absolutely correct on tires mfg there. STs are a prime example.
GY learned a lesson when they lost the lawsuit which included USA mfg Marathon tires. Surprised GY didn't "re-badge" the tires as other US mfgrs have done with STs.

However, the PRC Chinese are very capable of mfg anything to the appropriate specs - which actually *includes* STs.

The topic of this thread -"China Bombs"- really should be "ST Bombs"..:W

~

Damn. I shouldn't try and work when posting here. 🙂

I don't dispute that the Chicoms can build anything to spec, it's the =materials= that leave a lot to be desired. Not to mention the out-and-out bribery that goes to to "prove" that a particular product is "to spec". If they have stringent oversight, they are perfectly capable of building anything, and correctly.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ST Bombs existed way before China Bombs! ST Bombs were made by many companies right here in the good old USA, primarily for utility trailers. Therein lies one of the major issues. The original design that has changed very little over the years was never intended for large tall travel trailers. They were designed as light wight, cheap, low mileage, local service and short life span tires.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
You can interpret Taiwan any way you feel fits your argument, but it's still China.

No 'argument' necessary.

Better statement would be - both countries are populated by Chinese..:R

North Korea and South Korea are both "Korean". Are they the same?.:S

Next time you cross the border from Mexico to the USA, when the MX border inspector asks your nationality - tell him you are an American.

Usually won't fly as he is an "American" also...:S

~

BTW "laknox" - PRC (not POR) - for People's Republic of China - the communist one, LOL!
Absolutely correct on tires mfg there. STs are a prime example.
GY learned a lesson when they lost the lawsuit which included USA mfg Marathon tires. Surprised GY didn't "re-badge" the tires as other US mfgrs have done with STs.

However, the PRC Chinese are very capable of mfg anything to the appropriate specs - which actually *includes* STs.

The topic of this thread -"China Bombs"- really should be "ST Bombs"..:W

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bobx2 wrote:

Only by common ancestry of the people living there. Business-wise, not even close. You can bet Maxxis, Michelin, etc., watch their production in POR with a microscope. The native POR companies that produce the junk tires (and poisonous pet foods, plastics, etc.) simply don't =and= will substitute cheaper stuff any time they can...and still charge their customer the contract price. What are you going to do? Sue a POR-based company? Even if you won, they'd only change names and tell you that the original company no longer existed.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Gale Hawkins wrote:
While China builds premium tires one China tire company rep stated 80% of their orders from USA buyers were for the cheapest lines that that they build. Saving $25 per tire when you use 10,000 tires a year is like a quarter of a million dollars savings in just one year so you can see why they do it. Some when they order new TT's upgrade the tires and axles before the building process starts. That makes good sense for your own use but not if you are selling new TT's.

Biggest issue is that the mfrs almost never have to pay the cost of a tire failure. Either the tire company pays it or the customer's insurance company pays it. If the mfrs were forced to pay warranty claims on torn up trailers after tire failures, you can bet they'd start putting better tires on them. I've told the several RV dealers I've spoken to the past couple years that China bombs (other than Maxxis) are a deal-breaker. If a particular FW I was looking at came with D-rated tires, I'd also tell them that E-rated tires/rims were also required if they wanted a sale. So far, I've been lucky in that I haven't had the funds to actually =buy= a new rig, but that times a'comin'! 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Maxxis is a Jappense company. Their ST tires have been manufactured in Thailand for a number of years. Chris

Sorry, Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

Actually, Maxxis is a Chinese company. Not that it really matters, just getting the facts straight.

Japanese Company?....."Chinese Company"??..:h

Incorrect and/or misleading "Facts"..:R..that need straightening..;)

Chinese? - Unless you are referring to the *FACT* that the island of Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa) is also known as ROC, the "Republic of China" - a long time US ally - with a Democratic form of government.

(The US provides military training and support, arms & equipment)

Scroll to: Current Political, National Identity, and Military for Taiwan, ROC

As opposed to -
The PRC - "The Peoples Republic of China" - Mainland China..
(Communist China, or if you prefer - "Red China").

Yep - lots of tire mfg facilities there - incl Michelin & GY.

BTW - both the ROC and the PRC are "Chinese" -
and it *does* matter a *LOT* to the USA and the Taiwanese!!..:S

MAXXIS was indeed founded in TAIWAN, ROC in 1967.

Global HQ is located in Taipei, TAIWAN.

Cheng Shin Rubber Co. (Maxxis) has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan (ROC), Thailand, Vietnam - and mainland China (PRC) - Indonesia coming soon.

Help with Maxxis "facts"! - Scroll down to: "Worldwide Operations".

Distribution facilities in numerous countries.

~

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Maxxis is a Jappense company. Their ST tires have been manufactured in Thailand for a number of years. Chris

Sorry, Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

Actually, Maxxis is a Chinese company. Not that it really matters, just getting the facts straight.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter a man parked beside us for the month of March. 40 ft fifthwheel and of course china tires and told about he tows at 75 mph when he can. I was giving him some smart information about his tires and his speed when the guy across the street who was hearing what we were talking about stopped my story and told him don't listen to his horror stories. Of course he had about the same size fifth and china tires. Both had srw chev trucks and one was a 2500. Two educated men who didn't have a clue about most things after getting to know them.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
We purchased a new Augusta AF34RS Fifth wheel with Rainier 235/80/R16 Chinese Tires. They only have about 2000 miles on them including the trip from factory to Texas. There is already a bubble on the sidewall of one of the tires. We are going today to buy some Bridgestone 245/75/R16 R-250'S . We don't want to risk safety or tearing up our new rig. Hope the bridgestones will be good dependable tires. Its terrible that we have to Buy Chinabombs with our new trailers and just throw them away. Dad Gum Beancounters.

This is a great example of what happens to a person with a new RV that is not informed.

I have suggested to several people when shopping for a RV and find one they like but it has POS tires, do the deal and just before signing tell them the clincher is for them to replace with quality tires. Works every time!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
In a 16 inch tire the Bridgestone Duravis line is their best LT tire readily available to the public .
The Duravis R 250 and R 500 are good sellers .
within their sizing the Duravis carries identical sidewall ratings as the cheaper bridgestone tire lines .
But the Duravis tire weighs a couple of pounds more due to cords and rubber than cheaper BS models .
ST tires in a 235 x 16 are placarded at 3500 # rating and the LT tires are only placarded at 3042 # .
The ST tire weighs 88% as much sells for 88% of the LT tire but magically is placarded for 112 % of the weight .
LT tires as big as will fit is the best solution that I have found .
Can you fit an LT 265/75R16 load range E ?
That gets you 3415 # on an LT scale .

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
diesel man 03 wrote:
Are the Maxxis tires made in the US? I know the Goodyear Marathon tire is not and they are suppose to be a good tire.

Maxxis are *not* mfg in the US.
Taiwan, China, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Mfg by the Cheng Shin Rubber Co. - 10th largest tire mfgr in the world.
Good tires, good rep, good choice for 15" - and no, don't have any.

However, the country of origin is *not* an indicator of the quality of the tire. (Ex: Michelin has mfg facilities in China)

What makes you think GY Marathon is a good tire?..:h
Bad rep even when they were mfg in the US.

Good for your utility trailer, or very lightweight TT.

Search the forums - usually the term "Marathon" or "Goodyear" (or the combination of the two) is followed by "failure"..:(

Here's a failure thread for mostly US mfg Marathons

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Splashers3 wrote:
I replaced my CBs with only 3,000 miles....I wanted to sleep well at night and not worry about a bad blow out....I have XPS RIBS. They look good after 4.5 years of use.

Should be good for 2 or 3 more years, then sell them on CL like I did. Got 200 bucks.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021