cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns about buying from a distant dealer?

Paul39
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still trying to decide on a Fifth Wheel. Being picky - I like certain layouts and options. I have several big retailers near me, but one brand I am considering is not sold locally. It would be 120 miles to the dealer. Would you have concerns about buying from that distance? I don't mind driving to pick it out / up - but what happens if it needs warranty work? Can you get warranty work done at other locations, or would I have to take it back to where I bought it?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
There are other places besides dealers that will do warranty work.
When our Solitude was nearing one year since purchase, we took it to RV Renovators in Mesa, AZ to have 6 items repaired/replaced. They either billed Grand Design or the OEM and we paid nothing. Plus we got to stay in our full time rig while all the work was done.

We bought 2 diesel pushers from a dealer in Auburn, CA - between 2006 and 2010. RV Renovators did all the warranty work on both since we lived/hung out in the central AZ area.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
When you say brand are you talking manufacturer? This is a tough one. When shopping for a new RV I look nationwide for the best deal I can get. Then start pitting dealers against one another and usually, eventually one closer to home concedes to a good price. However, this can be a bit of a headache when it comes to warranty and service if it's not real close. For starters - no dealer will even touch warranty work on a brand they don't sell - period. If you have a local dealer that sells the same brand they may do warranty work even if you bought it elsewhere but it's not a guarantee and you will not get preferential treatment. Some will refuse to work on it. Warranty work while travelling is a bit of an exception. Sometimes you can call the manufacturer directly and tell them your situation and they can help you schedule with a local dealer - depends on the manufacturer.

So, in short - yes it's definitely a risk. And you will definitely have warranty items on anything you buy - doesn't matter how much you spend.

I bought my current RV from a dealer 2 hours away. There is a local dealer that sells my brand but they didn't have what I wanted. I tried to get warranty service there once and they snubbed me. The dealer I bought from is awesome and I get very quick preferential treatment. But I have to drive 2 hours for it. And usually it has to be dropped off, so 2 hrs there, 2 hrs home, rinse and repeat when I pick it up. We make the best of it by doing an overnight at a state park we love near the dealer.

I look at it this way, I invest a few hrs of my time to get warranty work and things are usually done in a few days. If I used my local dealer where I didn't buy I go to the back of the line (if they'll do the work at all) and it could be weeks or even months. So I drive a bit for awesome service and a great deal when I buy and I think that's worth it.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS