cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concrete pad vs gravel for winter

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready our first winter in Kentucky and have a choice between a concrete pad or crushed granite pad. Any suggestions as to pros and cons of each? Does the concrete pad suck more heat from the trailer than the granite imbedded ground? I shouldn't have any standing water on any of the pads. My unit is a 2014 DRV Tradition with the polar package and tank heaters.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.
20 REPLIES 20

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I wasn't clear about this post. As someone new to full timing in the 5th wheel I am curious as to any significant difference in living in our unit thru the winter over on a concrete pad vs a crushed granite pad. Is there more loss of heat thru convection on a concrete pad? If I have to use salt on the concrete pad when it ices over is there anything I can do to reduce tracking the salt into the trailer? Is there more of a problem with humidity when wintering over a mostly dirt with a lot of rock pad? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I poured concrete and put up a carport type structure for the RV. My seasonal sits on gravel in the weather year round.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use gravel. It's fairly cheap and easy. Plus, I don't have to be concerned with it cracking or being damaged from the winter freeze/thaw cycles.

Pouring a concrete RV pad at your house could make it less desirable if you decide to sell.
Like a swimming pool, it's not for everyone.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have gravel because I could get it for free if I provided the transportation and my son has a commercial dump trailer.

If I had an "in" with a concrete contractor I would have had concrete.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I put down a gravel pad for the same reason listed above -it's not permanent. I repurposed some smaller concrete pads to go under the wheels. Never an issue with the gravel.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't think it matters. But for resale value of your home, the concrete pad is better. Don't know where you live, but before pouring a concrete pad, make sure you are compliant with any zoning or HOA laws/rules.

We lived in town, and I wanted to pour a concrete pad. The spot was very muddy and slippery anyway. I thought it would be a great cure and provide a spot for the camper. I DID talk to the zoning office people and they said to pour a concrete pad would take all kinds of permits and design plans and all of that and a bunch of money to file everything. Then it would have to be inspected, meet all the city guidelines and by the time I got done just listening to what I had to do, I was exhausted and hadn't even left their office yet!

Then she said, but you can put down gravel anywhere on your property and don't have to have any permits or anything. The only rule was, the gravel could not spill on the neighbor's property.

I asked, what's the difference between the concrete and the gravel. She said, the gravel is temporary and can be removed! OH.... I learned something that day.

I went with gravel.

I put the gravel in, had a great spot to park the camper, and the mud was never a problem again. I always kept the tires on treated lumber. Never a problem.

When we moved to the country, our camper then parked on asphalt. As far as the camper goes, it made no difference.

If you can afford it, and you'll have no repercussions from zoning, concrete is the way to go. But your crushed garnet will work just as well (as far as a place to park your camper.) You won't have weeds growing in the concrete, and you can easily sweep of leaves and shovel snow (if you get any). Gravel, or stone is not so easy.