Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter issue?

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
We are currently set up in a remote location but do have shore power. After getting hooked up everything seemed fine until hours later I noticed the light getting very dim. To make a long story short anything that runs on DC will only use the battery and not the shore power. sounds like a bad converter but I have no way of confirming. Is there a fuse that could go out for the converter that might case this or is this simply a bad converter? In any case we're in a tough spot with the fridge not working.
Where is the converter in this rig?
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
2012 Keystone 327res
2 dogs
06 Chevy Silverado LT3 2500HD CC SB D/A
MBRP Turbo Back, Airaid Intake, Predator Tuner
50gal Transfer Flow in bed aux fuel tank
Firestone Ride Rite Air bags
PullRite SuperGlide 14K hitch
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES
5 REPLIES 5

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Found the culprit. There are two blade fuses in the converter itself. I couldn't see them because of the angle of the converter but as soon as I spotted them I checked themh and they were both blown.
Thanks for all the help!
2 dogs

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I'll try these things first thing in the morning
2 dogs

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Wingnusa wrote:
If you have a meter you can check the output on your converter. If memory serves me right it should be 13+ amps coming out of the converter. If it's anything less than that, it's bad. It's an easy replacement if you can DIY...

Ummm..... 13+ Volts not amps while on shore power. 12.5/12.8 volts when not hooked up to shore power and nothing on.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a meter you can check the output on your converter. If memory serves me right it should be 13+ amps coming out of the converter. If it's anything less than that, it's bad. It's an easy replacement if you can DIY...
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a meter, put it on the converter output. You may have just lost the connections to your battery. Ask me how I know this.

Anyway, your converter will be behind your breaker panel, and find that, then put on some inside lights and jiggle the wires to see if you can find one that suddenly lights things up.

Be sure you have 120 volts coming in, is the microwave lights on?

Barring that, get a battery charger from walmart quick, and put it onto your batteries before they get so low they cost you ten times what a cheap battery charger would.

mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel