cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convertor/charger issue

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, I am getting the trailer ready today to leave at the end of the week for Nascar in Phoenix. Running through all the appliances to see if everything wakes up from its Winter sleep. Everything is perfect until I notice my battery isn't charging. I have a trimetric meter so I can see exactly whats going on. I just put a brand new battery in so I thought maybe a wire got missed. Nope, re-did it all and nothing. Everything is working in the trailer, just not charging the battery. Hooked it up to the truck to test that way and trimetric says its charging. Unhook the truck and back to nothing. Then, a half hour later after wondering what I'm going to do, all of a sudden I look and the trimetric is reading normal charging status and has been fine ever since. Do the charger/convertors get sluggish before they go fully bad? What gives?
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*
17 REPLIES 17

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
By erratic charging....it would come on for a very short time, lights would get noticeably brighter, and when it went off the lights would dim. The battery would never charge to full, and was charging less and less..as measured by the 4 lights on my control station.

I have a separate battery charger that would always charge the battery back up where all 4 lights would lite.

As soon as I installed the PD converter the battery (Trojan) retained its full charge, and the lights have not dimmed since.

I also didn't mention all the troubleshooting I did with a volt meter in several different configurations before removing the 8955 converter...the key measurement was watching the converter trying to charge the battery (unsuccessfully).
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
maxum1989 wrote:
Splashers3 wrote:
My WFCO 8955 only lasted 6 years - and the last straw before it died was the erratic charging (and lack of) of my battery.

My new PD works and charges really well. I also carried it as a spare that last camping season.

You might want to start searching for a replacement.

By erratic charging, do you mean sometimes not at all or less voltage and amps than normal?

When my 8955 went south the voltage would jump all over the place. I replaced it with a powermax boondocker direct replacement into the wfco panel. Call Randy @ Best Converters. I gave the wfco to a member on here that works on them. I'm pretty sure he told me it had 2 bad caps in it. He had it going in a few min. But I don't do that kind of work so my new one works really well.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
c
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
Splashers3 wrote:
My WFCO 8955 only lasted 6 years - and the last straw before it died was the erratic charging (and lack of) of my battery.

My new PD works and charges really well. I also carried it as a spare that last camping season.

By erratic charging, do you mean sometimes not at all or less voltage and amps than normal?
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Typical WFCO. If you will be charging by generator you may as well replace sooner than later with a three stage converter that actually works properly.

I agree the WFCO isn't the greatest charger/convertor but I have always had decent luck with this one. Its never boiled my batteries and I leave it plugged in all the time. Until today, its pretty much been trouble free in nine camping seasons.
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
Some chargers need to sense several volts on the battery befor they will charge it. If a battery is completely flat, the charger will do nothing. Connecting your truck put a small charge on the battery. Once the onboard charger sensed a voltage on the battery, it started to charge it.

The battery was a long way from flat. If fact I am guessing it was around 85% charged. That's what my trimetric meter was telling me anyways.
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Typical WFCO. If you will be charging by generator you may as well replace sooner than later with a three stage converter that actually works properly.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Some chargers need to sense several volts on the battery befor they will charge it. If a battery is completely flat, the charger will do nothing. Connecting your truck put a small charge on the battery. Once the onboard charger sensed a voltage on the battery, it started to charge it.

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Look where the umbilical cord from truck battery cable and wire to the converter come together. It is inside a metal box in some rigs.
There should be a circuit breaker or fuse to protect the wiring in the rig from possible high amperage over load.

I do have a box like this inside my pin box. I will take a look tomorrow at this as well.
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look where the umbilical cord from truck battery cable and wire to the converter come together. It is inside a metal box in some rigs.
There should be a circuit breaker or fuse to protect the wiring in the rig from possible high amperage over load.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
There may be two (or even three) automotive blade fuses on the output side of the converter itself (my PSI has 3). I can't imagine why they would just blow without a reversed connection at the battery, but it might be worth a look.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did think about the circuit breaker being the cause but I didn't find one up front before it started getting dark outside. I will try and trace the wiring back to the convertor tomorrow to see if I can find a loose connection or circuit breaker somewhere. I guess its possible that there is a loose connection right within the convertor itself as well.
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look on the positive cable under the front of the rig. There could be a circuit breaker. Some have a small reset button on them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker