cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you check tire pressures every morning?

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You might want to reconsider.

We're planning our first outing next weekend, so yesterday I spent all day prepping truck and trailer. Checked all tire pressures. The trailer was down a few pounds, it hasn't been used since last August, and that ain't bad for so long sitting. Ran them all up to 70psi where I like to run them.

This morning I go out and one is dead flat. I was pretty sure what happened, because I've seen it before, but before I jumped to that conclusion I did a full inspection of the tire. They are nearing 4 years old, and have metal threaded stems, which were new with the tires. Found nothing.

So, of course it is a stem that did not seat perfectly when I disturbed it with air flow yesterday. I put a few pounds in and checked it with some leak detector soap. Confirmed, it is blowing bubbles.

Moral of this story is, if I had done that the morning of travel, that tire would have been flat fast. Better to have checked the pressure the night before, and then just give them a kick before hitting the road.

Or a TPMS if that's your thing.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
29 REPLIES 29

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I 'reset' my TPMS and check pressure that way each morning before I get on the road.

TPMS is at least as accurate, if not more, than the hand gauges. I see no reason not to trust it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visual check only, no gauge. Also look closely while stopped on the road. Road hazards are more likely when actually rolling.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“and they don't leak like the cheap ST Chinese tires.“

More potshots at the Chinese. Buy American tires and never check the pressure? Not me, I check.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
PhoneDude 8289 wrote:
I have a tpms and I also put a gauge on each tire before towing.
Don't trust your tpms?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Fix might be as simple as a new Shrader valve in the stem. There were a fairly large batch of bad valves in the news a couple years ago, and it's possible you have one. Cheap fix, but you are 100% right, to fix it, you need to know it's bad, and THAT requires inspection and paying attention to details.

Ain't it amazing, how many things in life depend on paying attention? It's almost like God is trying to teach us to PAY ATTENTION ALREADY.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I don't usually check my tires unless it's a long trip. My Michelin's are LT's and they don't leak like the cheap ST Chinese tires.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I always do a walk around of the truck and trailer before I leave - I do the same walk around every fuel or washroom breaks as well. Surprising how often I’ve caught a window not fully closed or something or other not right and dealt with it then and there.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
skipro3 wrote:
The schrader valves sometimes don't seat or back out after several cool/heat cycles...

I'm sure this is what happened. I checked and they were plenty tight. But sitting for years depresses a groove in the rubber seat, then it gets disturbed when you check the pressure, and it may not drop back into the groove quite right.

I should get new stems all around, but I don't think I'm going to have time to get it done this week. Too much stuff going on. So I will probably just keep an eye on the TPMS and cross my fingers.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have cat eyes on my rear duallies and I give them a glance every time I go out to the clipper. Simple caps on the front tires for the same visual check. If any are off, I take the clipper to work and fill up the tire(s). That way I don't have to worry right as I head out on a trip and I can get it repaired if it's more than just low on air without having to postpone.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tpms and I also put a gauge on each tire before towing. In addition I ck torque on the lug nuts, only takes a few minutes
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
The schrader valves sometimes don't seat or back out after several cool/heat cycles. I buy those valve caps that have the tool to tighten them and check a couple times a year. I check tire air pressure every morning I hit the road and a few days before hitting the road.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Moral of this story is...”

Inflate your tires to the manufacturer’s recommend pressure as shown on the sidewall.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always ready for everything the day before but giving the tires a kick before I we leave is a good idea while checking everything else. Good tip. Glad you caught it.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TPMS works for me. Fire it up *before* I start moving. I removed those anti-theft caps since they're a pita if you actually need air
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman