cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does this roof need work?

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a fifth wheel yesterday and really like the floor plan. But it has some delamination that makes me think at one point it had a leak. The delimitation is on one section in the back left corner and the ladder on the back wall in that corner seems to be loose. However I see no signs of water penetration inside. No musty smell, no soft walls or floors/roof. The cabinets have a dead spot in the corner of the wall with the delamination. I removed draws and got into the area and it is clean and solid.

It's under consignment and I was told that the roof was replaced at some point. It is a 2004 Keystone Challenger. I am a newbie to evaluating these things. Is it possible for a small leak to cause delimitation, the source of the leak be fixed, and everything else be ok in the long run??

I have pictures of the delimitation and a little video of the chaffing that occurs on the roof when I push on it or rub my finger on it. It seems dried out and perhaps needing to be replaced again? We really like the trailer otherwise...30' fifth wheel with good floorpan and a king bed! Thoughts..

Link to delamination

Video of roof

Picture of whole roof
20 REPLIES 20

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Kind of sounds like you have already made up your mind and are wanting others to verify your decision. (I could be wrong).

Anyway, good luck with it all and with your search for an RV.

I don't think that you are wrong,. OP just wants somebody to assure him it is a wonderful buy. then a few years down the road when it junks out, he will have somebody else than himself to blame.

bumpy

How nice of you try to make an assumption on my motivations rather than just try to be constructive. You are completely wrong. I posted more information to try to clarify.

I appreciate all the feedback here. We are not purchasing this camper.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A delaminated RV is trouble at any price. The repair cost is typically in excess or $7000 per wall.

The delamination is an indication of a problem and there is no way to know the extent of the damage to the wall and even floor structural damage until the wal is pulled apart.

Run man run.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Kind of sounds like you have already made up your mind and are wanting others to verify your decision. (I could be wrong).

I don't think that you are wrong,. OP just wants somebody to assure him it is a wonderful buy. then a few years down the road when it junks out, he will have somebody else than himself to blame.

bumpy

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
IF THE UNIT is what you like ,hire a real expert to go over it with you, right from the brakes up to the roof.Then you can Really determine if its really worth the $$ you can get it for.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a new roof regardless. What are they asking?

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
However you do certainly have rot in the roof as the video showing you pushing on the roofing material with no backing underneath. At the least you'll need a new roof and underlayment.

Just so it's clear I don't think the roof decking has rotted. The roofing material that I pushed on and appears to have no backing is because the edge of the roof is raised higher than the majority of the roof. It has a lip on the edge. Seems like the roofing cover was stretched from the decking up and over the lip at the edge. In the video I am pushing at this gap where the material angles up to the lip. My intention in posting the video was to show how it chaffed when I rubbed my finger on it. I could not press my finger through the roof material despite trying somewhat but it did chaffe the material as you saw which made me think it was dried out and perhaps due for replacement????

I hear all the comments about there being alot of inventory to look at but in my little bit of searching I do not find many under 30-32' trailers or fifth wheels with King beds but will keep looking.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
RUN!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
skip it
bumpy

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2005 Cougar that had a similar rear wall as the one you are looking at. We had a ripple in the rear wall too. I called Keystone and they said that the rear exterior wall is not glued to the wall supports and is "free floating". Over time, the fiberglass can develop those ripples. So I would not be concerned about the rear wall so much. However you do certainly have rot in the roof as the video showing you pushing on the roofing material with no backing underneath. At the least you'll need a new roof and underlayment. You won't know the extent of the damage until you strip the roof. RV Roof in Florida can install a new lifetime roof for a few thousand dollars. When I was looking at that option, it was around $5 grand for our 28' Cougar. Depending on what you can buy the rig for it might be a consideration. But like someone else posted, there are a lot of preowned RV's for sale.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
The roof is shot,look at the lifting under the membrane along the edges.Staples have come loose from roof edge roll.

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
From what I felt the decking felt solid. Wall under delam also felt solid. There had to be some rot on the back though I suspect for the ladder to be loose but I did not feel/knock around to much on that wall. Price is $9,900 could probably get for less. 29 rear kitchen model. I am not afraid of putting some money into it...but how much is too much. I don't want to replace walls.

I suspect the roof is drying out and not leaking yet...but how soon will it leak.

Thanks for the heads up on the light being the source for the delimitation !

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
The light is definitely the source of the leak that caused the delam IMO.
I'm gonna be the odd ball I guess on the roof based solely on the video. It appears to me based off the video alone that the weakness shown "could" be caused from the roofing material going from the roof decking to the side over the trim causing a gap under it around the edge. Is the decking underneath solid? Also what kind of price or we talking? Is it priced right so that if some minor to moderate repairs are needed that it would still come in as a good value? Also, is the seller/dealer willing to warranty and or make the necessary repairs? I know you said its a consignment, so have it looked at by a third party inspector and ask for repairs to be covered or low ball it and see what happens if your happy with it.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!