cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual 12v Battery Hookup Question

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased 2 new 27 series 12v batteries, added 2nd battery box and have them both vented to outside. Hooked Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative.
Question is do I hook Pos and Neg from camper to one battery, or hook one camper lead to positive on one battery, and negative on the other battery?
7 REPLIES 7

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, everybody!

Dave
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you wish to understand the "why" surf here:

correctly interconnecting multiple twelve volt batteries

Yes, you can center tap for two batteries, or use a buss bar.

dballentine wrote:

Why?

Both positive terminals are at the same potential, as are both negative terminals. (Ignoring I2R loss in the interconnecting cables.)

I would think connecting the positive from the converter to either battery (or midway between the two, for that matter), and the negative (ground) to either battery, would work as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dballentine wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Positive from one battery to converter/dc distribution
Negative from other battery to frame ground

Why?

Both positive terminals are at the same potential, as are both negative terminals. (Ignoring I2R loss in the interconnecting cables.)

I would think connecting the positive from the converter to either battery (or midway between the two, for that matter), and the negative (ground) to either battery, would work as well.

It will work. Just not as well over time. Resistance of the cables is small but so is the internal resistance of the battery so it does end up having an accumulated effect of working one battery harder than the other. The higher the load the greater the effect. The more batteries the more the effect will be.

If you pull power for a large inverter off one end of a stack of four batteries. The lead (close) battery will initially handle twice the load of the tail (farthest) battery.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want to balance the drain and charge currents feeding your two batteries. This means keeping the like cable lengths the same lengths.

This can be achieved by wiring in this fashion...

If you wire up your two 12VDC batteries in this fashion you see the first battery cable lengths are shorter then the cables feeding the second. The first battery will drain and charge at a different rate than the second battery will do. The small drop in resistance with the two different lengths really come into play when you start drawing heavy battery currents. Lots of charts on here from the local battery experts showing this happens.

This is the plan at any rate to balance both batteries as best you can with equal lengths of battery cables wired in the proper sequence..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
oops double post
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Why?

2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31