cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest 5th hitch to connect for 1 smaller woman?

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if there is a difference in difficulty for connecting your FW depending on the hitch you have? We are getting our first FW and will be purchasing the hitch at the dealer. They sell Pullrite but I am wondering how the TrailerSaver Air-Rides compare in terms of ease of connecting? Thanks for any replies. If it matters it is an 8 ft bed.
34 REPLIES 34

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably the easiest to handle for you would be the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. The hitch itself weighs around 40 lbs...it uses a ball and a socket...you back under the kingpin...drop the hitch on the ball... Twist the locking latch and you are done.

Here is a link to the Rail Mount Version

Here is a link to the Gooseneck Mount Ultimate Fifth wheel, but this version is about 75 lbs or so.

They even have an aluminum version that weighs less than 40 lbs.

If I were going with a light weight fiver this would be high on my list of possible hitches.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Everyone is going to say their hitch is the best. But really they are all essentially the same as far as ease of hitching and unhitching. Except for the Anderson that uses a ball mount. Then you have to be a little more precise in positioning the hitch ball under the trailer receiver. On a standard 5th wheel hitch you can be off an inch or more to the side and it will self align as you back under it.

I had a Pullrite Super 5th in my previous truck and it is a very good hitch. I would have bought another for my current truck but at the time they did not have one to fit the Ford factory hitch prep.

Have no experience with the Trail Saver.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Is the intention to remove the hitch between outings?

If that is the case then the Anderson Ultimate or something along those lines would be the LIGHTEST and easiest to remove from the truck. (I would get the rail version if it was me).

If not, like others have said there really isn't anything physically demanding on any hitch.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
You're not talking about the Superglide are you? If so, you don't need it with an 8' bed. In my opinion, my B&W Patriot is much better than my Reese was. It doesn't matter if you're a woman or not, you can operate any hitch out there.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Reece 16K hitch, and I don't think there could be an easier hitch to operate. As long as I have the jaws closed, the kingpin at the right height in relation to the hitch and get the kingpin and the hitch in alignment, all I have to do is back the truck. The jaws spread open as the kingpin slides in, and then they close around it. I then do a "pull test" followed by a visual inspection to make sure the jaws are closed around the kingpin correctly.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison