cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

emergency breaks

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
When changing a tire, can you set the emergency brake to lock the wheel to enable one to remove the lug nuts. It is difficult to remove the lug nuts especially if you've had a blow out and have lost your tire. I'm speaking from experience.
22 REPLIES 22

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
You probably carry some form of wood or plastic blocks. Just wedge a block under the edge of the tire when breaking the nuts loose.

WAY too logical! - Much too easy.

While on your emergency break (rest stop?) read post by "Rolo2" - he's on a break also.

Consider a Tire Pressure monitor! - Your breaks will be more enjoyable.

~
Getting into a compartment, and then forcing a block to wedge under the tire so it won't move is easier and more logical than using the brake to lock up the wheel? If it was a car would you use the brake to keep the wheel from turning or would you dig out a block and try to wedge it under the tire. Seems to me the OP is doing the easiest and most logical thing to stop the tire from turning.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You probably carry some form of wood or plastic blocks. Just wedge a block under the edge of the tire when breaking the nuts loose.

WAY too logical! - Much too easy.

While on your emergency break (rest stop?) read post by "Rolo2" - he's on a break also.

Consider a Tire Pressure monitor! - Your breaks will be more enjoyable.

~

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
If it would work at all it would only work on the road side. Electric brakes only work to stop forward movement of the trailer. Loosening the nuts on the curb side would be going the opposite direction and do nothing.

Electric brakes work in reverse too.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you try this experiment I would unplug the trailer from the truck before activating the break away switch. Some break controllers don't like having that voltage fed back on the brake wire.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Ryobi 18V +one setup with 1/2" Drill 1/2" Impact. The impact develops up to 300#ft of torque with 3 speeds and well break a lug loose in no time. I carry both the drill and impact with extra batteries along with a set of impact sockets in my tool box on the truck.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Another option I have had success with is taking a 1 inch wide ratchet strap, looping one of the wheel spokes, and wrapping a few loops around the rim, Then ratcheting it tight to something like the frame or rear bumper to put some choke on the rim
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Emergency breaks should only be used when you are really tired and you need to stop for coffee or a nap.

Does REACT still man those free coffee stands in the Emergency Break areas. I saw one OPEN last weekend going thru Ohio.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
jomimac wrote:
When changing a tire, can you set the emergency brake to lock the wheel to enable one to remove the lug nuts. It is difficult to remove the lug nuts especially if you've had a blow out and have lost your tire. I'm speaking from experience.

To answer your question: There is really no good reason why you can not use the break away system to do what you want to do. Just remember to put the pin back in when finished.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. I can see where several of them will work.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also use my HF battery impact wrench to set the rear stabs.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roger10378 wrote:
If it would work at all it would only work on the road side. Electric brakes only work to stop forward movement of the trailer. Loosening the nuts on the curb side would be going the opposite direction and do nothing.
Etrailer says

"When the brake magnet is pushed in either direction on the brake assembly (forward or backward), the brake shoes are forced apart which activates the trailer brakes. When pushed backwards the brakes won't apply quite as hard as when going forward, but they still do work."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jomimac wrote:

Much easier to roll the wheel up on a board or two to bust the nuts loose, then finish jacking up to get the wheel off and spare installed. I do like the idea of the electric impact wrench, though. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A