cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eternabond Tape

usnret30
Explorer
Explorer
I have just found some rotted wood in the sidewall of my 2002 Titanium by Glendale. I have opened the wall and removed the rot at the bottom (a section about 18 inches in the left rear quarter). I intend to reseal the camper before starting the repairs.

I am starting by placing Eternabond tape over the end cap major roof joints fore and aft. My question is should I use 4 inch wide or 6 inch wide tape to go up and over the joint. I intend to go from one side to another and perhaps one or two inches down the side of the fiver.

I would like to keep the rig as presentable as possible while making these repairs. I'm not anal but I would rather not look like the Clampetts from Beverly Hills.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

usnret30
6 REPLIES 6

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Whats an HTT?

Tim

usnret30
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be Eternabond for house roofs and Eternabond for RV use. I am starting with this for roof end cap seams: http://www.rvautoparts.com/product.asp?itemid=9154&gclid=CjwKEAjwwZmsBRDOh7C6rKO8zkcSJABCusnbM0_t-TATJKOWKjorZIgVkTm-1wQULv9uJVgGc69n9hoCx0Dw_wcB

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lanco also makes a EPDM compatible sealer called "Ultra Siliconizer". Available at Home Depot.

(Over on Titaniumrvowners.com you will find discussions about resealing and other Glendale (May the S*Bs rest in peace) issues.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Take your time planning it out. Once you start putting the Eternabond on, you aren't getting it off easily. Take a piece of paper and tape it over your edges where you plan to bring it down 2", see what it might look like. If you trim and round the corners you can get it to look like it was done at the factory. I did this on a roof seam on our last HTT, and when we traded it, the dealer didn't bat an eyelash.

Prep the area properly. There are instructions on Eternabond's site, but the gist is to remove all old caulking, wash with soap and water, treat it with mineral spirts to remove all oils.

Golden_HVAC wrote:
Be sure to compare shipping, and also check with Amazon.com too.

My suggestion also. Amazon's price for 6"x50". If you have Prime then shipping is free. If you don't you can get free shipping on orders over $35, and usually they deliver in in less than a week.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have been asked a couple of times for a link to Eternabond.

Eternabond

This is a pretty good price. Be sure to compare shipping, and also check with Amazon.com too.

Here is a product that you might want to coat your roof with. I put it on my 97 Bounder, my only regret was not doing it sooner, when there was still a lot more of the factory roof left. The factory EPDM is designed to flake off, and that is the cause of white streaks. This stuff does not create white streaks. . .

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

I applied a thick coating of this on my 30' Bounder. AS I was about 1/2 way done, I started to figure out that it would need to be pretty thin to finish with one coat out of 5 gallons. So I put it on even thicker, and ordered an additional 5 gallon pail, then applied that a couple of weeks later. What was left was used on another project. I used a coffee cup, dipped out about 3 cups, and then push it around with the 3" paint brush to thin it out, and spread it around.

Around the skylight, I made sure it was a good and thick coating. I did not apply it up to the A/C gasket, but you might want to do this. I coated my solar panel mounts very well, so they are part of the roof coating now!

Yes 6" wide Eternabond will make a great patch, but you probably also want to apply this type of coating afterwords, so that you will have a leak free roof. It looks really nice once completed. Watch the 20 minute video, it shows a lot of information.

Good luck!1

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the 6" better bond