Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feedback on Solitude

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are getting ready to buy a 378 Solitude by Grand Design. Love most everything about it except for limited outside storage and no dishwasher. We are not fulltimers so we can live with it.

Any feedback on this Floorplan, Solitude in general or any other option to consider is appreciated.

MC
12 REPLIES 12

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wingcat wrote:
We were looking at the Solitude and the Pinnacle by Jayco and decided on the Pinnacle only for one reason. Solitude did not offer the nice rear cap that you could get on the Pinnacle. We were really torn because we loved the Solitude also. So far we have had no problems whatsoever with our Pinnacle.
(Knock on wood)

Yeah I'm curious as to why no rear caps? I think rear cap is important.
Rear cap is a much better connection/joint betwen sides panels and rear panels.
I imagine rear cap cost more and truth is it doesn't provide any real benefit until years later when a screwed metal cornered joint begins to loosen and leak.
The stadard corner that GD uses should be adequate for the waranty period which is I guess all that matters?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had 3 Tetonโ€™s with a dish washer, and have never used them..... even once.! Presently, ours is used for cutting boards, large lids, and a few other things impracticable for shelf storage! ?? However, we are rarely connected to water.....maybe, if we did more campgrounds weโ€™d actually use it for washing dishes! :B

Hope that you enjoy your Solitude, and perhaps......actually get some โ€œsolitudeโ€ when rvโ€™ing! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

wingcat
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at the Solitude and the Pinnacle by Jayco and decided on the Pinnacle only for one reason. Solitude did not offer the nice rear cap that you could get on the Pinnacle. We were really torn because we loved the Solitude also. So far we have had no problems whatsoever with our Pinnacle.
(Knock on wood)
2017 F-350 Lariat SB CC 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
1971 Corvette Convertible
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you have a dish washer and are full-time you will never be without. Same goes for a washer and dryer!!!

OP I bet the cabinet to one side of the sink will allow for a dish washer.

Limited outside storage would be a NO GO for me!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wingcat
Explorer
Explorer
(Knock on wood)
2017 F-350 Lariat SB CC 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
1971 Corvette Convertible
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We decided to go with the North Point 382.
You really can't go wrong with the 378.
I agonized the decision for a while.

MC

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Speediq,
Did you end up with the 378MBS? If so, how do you like it so far? We are considering the same unit.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the feedback and great point on the CCC unit sticker. I noticed the same thing when I bought my last TT. We lost 500 lbs of cargo from brochure, probably due to options.

Regarding dishwasher, it is not a deal breaker but I figured it will help when dry camping not having to use that much water. Besides, you can probably avoid doing dishes for a few days but loading up dishwasher and waiting to run it until it is full.

We are still debating between the Solitude and a North Point 382fl. North Point comes with dishwasher ๐Ÿ™‚ among other many upgrades but it is a 45ft unit vs 40ft for Solitude...

MC

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our unit shipped from the Factory almost 1000 Lbs heavier than the Dry Brochure weight, and that's before adding Batteries and Filling the two 40 Lb Propane Tanks.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What would concern me is the CCC. I bet it will be around 2,000 when delivered. I've seen a 382WB with only 1692 lbs for CCC. Granted the UVW on the 382 is about 500 lbs more so less CCC. But 93 gals for water, if you fill it thats 785 lbs. Add about 1500 lbs for normal stuff and you could be over 2200 lbs added.
I'd want to see the weight sticker as it sits on the lot 1st.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably have a dishwasher in the island by the sink, but you will lose some drawers/cabinet space. That floor plan looks to not have a lot of interior storage and cabinets. If you are full time, you will want lots of interior cabinets, drawers and closet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Only time would have liked a dishwasher in our rig was when the wife slipped on a trail and broke her wrist.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu