cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel hitch problem - uncoupling

BobWestdorp
Explorer
Explorer
We've been fifth wheeling for four years and never had a problem with our hitch uncoupling but it has happened twice in our last two trips last summer and fall. We have a Husky 16K traditional hitch installed by our dealer when we bought our Rockwood Signature Ultralite. Of course both times the truck bed had serious damage which insurance paid for. Before going out this summer we want to get it all checked out. Our usual hitching routine is for both my wife and I to check the lever to ensure it's retracted and the green button is seen which means it's engaged. The first time we may have missed it but the second time we both thought we were "coupled". Needless to say we felt pretty stupid! Has anyone had something similar happen to them? How do we ensure it's working?
85 REPLIES 85

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are too many off topic remarks and the subject has been hashed to death. Time to close this one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
minnow wrote:
"Bring it on,"

Not me, I'm a lover not a fighter. But not everyone out there is as friendly as me.

I recommend the BLOCK USER option of the forum... Makes reading these topics much more enjoyable if you don't own a Dodge, B&W or 18K trailer...

:B :B

I've considered it but unfortunately, I need To see that daily full size picture of THAT hitch.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Well we all need to Thank BobWestdorp for opening this thread, as it is now apparent that ALL 5th wheel hitches are subject to OPERATOR ERROR!!! :S

Yep, I believe the OP got plenty of info. :W
Time to move on.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
"Bring it on,"

Not me, I'm a lover not a fighter. But not everyone out there is as friendly as me.

I recommend the BLOCK USER option of the forum... Makes reading these topics much more enjoyable if you don't own a Dodge, B&W or 18K trailer...

:B :B
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we all need to Thank BobWestdorp for opening this thread, as it is now apparent that ALL 5th wheel hitches are subject to OPERATOR ERROR!!! :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Entertainment.
Entertainment..
Entertainment...

Closed ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
"Bring it on,"

I understand but if someone does pop me in the nose for something like that I will own them. I took the pic from the road and was not on someones site.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am sure I will get comments from this but I know many others do the same.

With a B&W there is no reason to do a pull test unless a person wants to. I am sure other hitches are in the same boat. With the RBW I had prior I ALWAYS did a pull test.

All that is required is VISUALLY confirm the following. Visually confirming is a test!

1. confirm the hitch plate and kingpin plate are touching.

2. confirm the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin.

3. confirm the handle is closed and pinned or LOCKED as I prefer.

If you confirmed visually all the above there is NO REASON to do a pull test.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
"Bring it on,"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Yep the B&W fan boys have not responded back yet if they can tow 20 miles on very mixed driving pulling their 5er at full load, with the handle unlined."

I read one guy a while back that found his B&W not pinned after towing. I have no idea if it will stay latched or not, I will not give it a try!

Russ yours will for sure stay hitched, that is a good thing!

Alright guys listen up ! LOL I have a B&W Patriot and it definitely will drop the trailer if not pinned properly. I know cause I did it. I had the pin through the handle only ,Not the lower portion. I made it about 150 yards before I heard this big BOOM and Destroyed my Tailgate . The pinbox fell on large blocks in the back of my truck preventing my truck bed from being damaged . I had a Drawtite 16K slider for 10 years without an incident. I prefer the B&W but you better make sure the handle is locked properly.

Mark, if the pin was not through the handle, and lower portion, the jaws would not fully close, causing your issue.

In any case, you and Ken both admitted being at fault, and should surrender your Fanboy free hat, and T-shirt. :W

Jerry

YES, I expect them to be overnighted to "HeavyWeight" headquarters!

Russ I have said I don't know if the jaws will open after the handle is closed and NOT pinned. I won't be hooking up for a while. I did say someone reported they did so with a B&W and the jaws did not come apart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I have walked the campgrounds for years and there has been one common theme to the VAST majority of damaged beds, this type of hitch whether it's Valley or REESE.

Walking around other people's trucks taking pictures is a good way to get a pop on the end of your nose.

Bring it on!

Nothing wrong with taking pics of ANYTHING in public.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
filrupmark wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Yep the B&W fan boys have not responded back yet if they can tow 20 miles on very mixed driving pulling their 5er at full load, with the handle unlined."

I read one guy a while back that found his B&W not pinned after towing. I have no idea if it will stay latched or not, I will not give it a try!

Russ yours will for sure stay hitched, that is a good thing!

Alright guys listen up ! LOL I have a B&W Patriot and it definitely will drop the trailer if not pinned properly. I know cause I did it. I had the pin through the handle only ,Not the lower portion. I made it about 150 yards before I heard this big BOOM and Destroyed my Tailgate . The pinbox fell on large blocks in the back of my truck preventing my truck bed from being damaged . I had a Drawtite 16K slider for 10 years without an incident. I prefer the B&W but you better make sure the handle is locked properly.

Mark, if the pin was not through the handle, and lower portion, the jaws would not fully close, causing your issue.

In any case, you and Ken both admitted being at fault, and should surrender your Fanboy free hat, and T-shirt. :W

Jerry

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer

Here is the evidence
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
bpounds wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you don't like what I have to say BLOCK ME!!!

NO WAY! It's too much fun watching the B&W fan club bubble burst.

Only Ken's bubble burst, as he screwed up, just like everyone that drops a trailer with the exception of Reese owners that can do everything correct and still drop a trailer, as has been reported many times. Chris

I have walked the campgrounds for years and there has been one common theme to the VAST majority of damaged beds, this type of hitch whether it's Valley or REESE. I don't know what the problem is but there IS a problem with this type of hitch.

THAT is NOT "BASHING".

Yes, likely because they are the most common hitch on the market.

If Kennethwooster had been as sure of his B&W as you, he would have dropped his fiver also.

I would say that 99 percent of the issues is OPERATOR ERROR, and neither you or Chris, have come back to state that if you don't touch the hitch after backing in, will the pin be captured, and not release driving down the road.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"