cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch purchase

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Looking at purchasing a fifth wheel trailer my question is what is an average height of the fifth wheel hitch? I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crew cab 4x4 diesel standard box and the trailer looking at buying is Sierra 384QBOK. I have seen sliders that slide 10 to 11 inches and height adjustments 14 to 17 and 15 to 18 inches. My truck is stock ride height. Looking at Reese but want to make sure I get and install the right one. Thanks in advance.
42 REPLIES 42

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Should be a sticker on driver's door post with max load info.

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
I found that information in the Duramax diesel owners manual that came with the truck. States max 3000 pounds so that rating is coming with the known fact the truck has a diesel engine. In the column it's listed 6.6l v8 diesel.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Robertw277 wrote:
Hitch weight dry is 2261 truck owners manual states upto 3000 pounds. I have seen this fifth wheel being towed by a ram 2500 asked the owner any problems towing and he said none. Future truck will definitely be 3500.

With a diesel, your payload is no where near 3,000 pounds. Check the sticker on your door, I'm sure in it's in 2,200 pounds range. I have the same pickup and the fifth wheel in my signature. I had mine weighed this summer, fully loaded with quads and everything. My pin weight is over 2,500 pounds so I'm way over my payload. But I do have upgraded tires at 3,415 per tire and I'm under each individual axle rating.

You will hate it without airbags. That much pin weight will squat the pickup. Also, if you have the stock shocks, trade them out. I added new Bilstein shocks this summer and that improved the ride a ton.

I would have it weighed fully loaded and ensure you are under your limits of each axle. While I do feel safe towing. It's definitely pushing the limits and would way rather have a 1 ton.

Also, look at the Anderson ultimate hitch. That's what I have and it works very well with the short bed.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input will hire a towing company to get the trailer to its seasonal campground spot.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Robertw277 wrote:
Not looking to travel the country its for local use 1 1/2 hours away. I know that I'm pushing the towable limits of the truck.

If it's unsafe, it's unsafe!!! NO MATTER how short or far you are traveling.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite superlite

Might be an option to keep the weight down. I use a BD3 but the superlite looks interesting.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Not looking to travel the country its for local use 1 1/2 hours away. I know that I'm pushing the towable limits of the truck.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
All the brands have their fans. And those fans claim theirs is best. But in reality any of the name brands will work fine be it B&W, Reese, Pullrite, Curt, etc.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since OP is not asking about his trucks capability, I agree with earlier post, that B&W, or PullRite, would be best choices in a slider. Many do not use a slider in a standard bed (me included). Newer FWs have rounded corners to avoid cab contact. Not saying it won't happen, you still have to be aware.

Jerry

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Robertw277 wrote:
Hitch weight dry is 2261 truck owners manual states upto 3000 pounds. I have seen this fifth wheel being towed by a ram 2500 asked the owner any problems towing and he said none. Future truck will definitely be 3500.

2261 dry, add for batteries, propane, 60% of the weight of stuff in the basement, and stuff in the truck and by your numbers, your right at the limit.
But on the hitch B&W seems the favorite.

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ Come on! Heck all he needs are a set of bags and 19.5's and it will "Tow Just Fine" !!!

OP anything B&W or PullRite will do the job and they are US Made, can't say the same for REESE or Curt as they are China.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 2500HD isn't enough truck for that fifth wheel by a LONG shot. You'll be way over the rear axle capacity by the time the trailer is loaded (published pin weights are dry weights - calculate 23% of a fifth wheel's GVWR for an estimated pin weight). You need to be asking questions other than hitch first.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015