cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel mileage question

sportzfann
Explorer
Explorer
Fiver owners, not trying to start a debate, but wanted some data to think about.
I have a 2017 f350 Dually diesel and I am looking at fivers in the 30-35’ range but the weights vary quite a lot I’ve seen 30’ at 9k lbs gvw. and 35’ at15k lbs. gvw
my question is will it make much difference in mileage pulling those different weights, and length trailers or is this a aerodynamic issue nor so much weight. ??
16 REPLIES 16

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, towing with the diesel, the weight will not make much difference. The height diff will make about the same diff as the weight.

Also if looking at GVWR sticker to compare, that may have more to do with axle/spring size, such as comparing 4,400 rated axles to 5,200/6000 axles. The beefier axles/springs allowing a higher wt rating, rather than actual scaled wt of the various trailers.

Jerry

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert, but I think it's a little of both. Before we purchased our FW we had a 32' Komfort TT, 8 - 9k fully loaded that we towed with an F250 6.8L gasser. Got about 12 - 13mpg. Same truck towing the 13k fully loaded FW in our signature, 7, yes, 7mpg. Fast forward - same FW, different TV, 2011 F350 diesel dually, long bed, 12 - 14mpg.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton