cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiver battery advice

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
The battery in my fifth wheel is over four years old. Should I consider replacing it based on its age? It has been used almost constantly during this time.

Thanks,

Jim
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"
8 REPLIES 8

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 fifth wheel, two batteries in it when I bought it used in 2010, still seem okay, but we are always plugged in while camping, and it is always plugged in at home, so the one time I used it boondocking I took a generator and when batteries got low from using lights, furnace and water pump, I just fired up generator, but I was out in the woods, so didn't bother anybody.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
9 years on our 2 interstate batt ,still holding a full charge,rig has 60000 miles on it.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since you said battery (not batterIES), I assume you are typically in RV parks with power, don't sweat it. Worst case, you can plug in to get the slides in/out and pick up a battery when you get around to it.

If the converter is keeping it fully charged and not over charged, the battery will last a long time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
There always exceptions based on personal opinions, experiences on batteries. There is no right or wrong views. Personally I replace batteries after 5 yrs. rather than wait until you are on the road RVing and have the battery go dead and then have to run around to find a battery replacement. I have the same rule for my tires, replace them after 5 yrs. for the same reasons. Waiting for a Good Sam tow truck to come out and change/replace a blow out is not my first choice.

Erie_Tom
Explorer
Explorer
Take the battery and have a load test done to it at an auto parts store. That will tell you how reliable it is. I keep tenders on mine and they last along time.
Erie Tom N8UAZ (Better Half Pat)
Ohio

Winter Steelhead Country

25' Innsbruck 5ver
2003 GMC 2500HD

2x4

. Extcab SB Duramax/Allison
Reese Kwik Slide Hitch
Prodigy
Ham radio listen to 146.52 simplex. HF 20M and 40M mobile

Retired and free as a bird

:B

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
usnret wrote:
The battery in my fifth wheel is over four years old. Should I consider replacing it based on its age? It has been used almost constantly during this time.

Thanks,

Jim

Use it until it's done. Looks like you take good care of it to have it lasted 4 years so far. No need until you start noticing a capacity reduction. That will be the first sign.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I would READ "12volt side of life". JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I would not discard RV batteries based on age.

I would get a hydrometer similar to below. Check the electrolyte condition.
Hydrometer on Amazon

If you've never used a hydrometer, this seems like a pretty good beginners guide to using one:
Using a hydrometer to test battery

Assuming that checks out, if I still had concerns about condition, I would pull the battery and have it load tested. Fully charge it first, using your coach converter, so you know you charged per your normal equipment.

The only equipment I ever replace the battery on based on age, is my Ford 6.0 diesel. That is because it is known to be very sensitive to marginal battery voltage, and will blow the FICM even though it still starts the truck.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver