Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Tank Refurb

glennemay
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning all,

So I just bought a new to me 2011 Open Roads Rolling Thunder Toy Hauler.

The previous owner never used the fueling station on the camper. I am wondering what would be a good way to make sure it is clean enough to use moving forward.

I had thoughts of adding some kerosene to the tank on a long drive and then dumping that to clean out any water or crud that may have built up in the tank.

I would love to hear some opinions please.

Thank You
Glenn
18 REPLIES 18

glennemay
Explorer
Explorer
These are definitely some great suggestions.

๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess I Was hoping for non removal of the tank. The camper is insulated and the tank is up in the underbelly. I am assuming you all are correct in the sense that it does have to come out in order to be completely cleaned and made useable.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can remove it without making it a big project:
- Drain
- Add water and a strong degreaser (such as dish soap). Slosh around and drain.
- Observe the inside with a flashlight to see if there is still crud and repeat.
- I've known people who insert a power washer wand to help get the tough stuff.
- Drain and let fully dry.
- Reinstall
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ฆ. Iโ€™d look for a well equipped Radiator Shop in your area to check it out and advise; sealing a fuel tank takes a lot of work to clean PROPERLY prior to coating the inside ifโ€™s you donโ€™t want the coating to peal off in the future. And a properly placed drain flange on the fuel tank will make draining excess coating from the tank easierโ€ฆ Maybe UTUBE can help? Iโ€™ve done a few thousand fuel tanks in my lifeโ€ฆ

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The BEST solution is to remove the tank, place a couple of handfuls of clean gravel in it, some diesel/kerosene, plug all the holes and roll it around on the grass. Drain, remove the gravel, add soap and water and repeat.

Last rinse well with clean water and leave in the sun (or use a heater) to dry it thoroughly. There are several products on the market to seal fuel tanks from the inside.