cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full time stationary living (2015 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4)

Tammie63
Explorer II
Explorer II

New to this community and looking for information 🙂 Considering purchasing a DRV that has been parked and never on the road. It has been minimally used, mostly as a model in a park in Rancho California. I'm not planning on traveling with the DRV but living stationary full-time in a park or on family property. Just wondering what to look out for in having this rig moved. I can only imagine that it must be thoroughly inspected for road worthiness? Just looking for an affordable way to continue to live in SoCal. Also, $50,000 is the asking price. Is this reasonable? I appreciate any sage advice (total newbie here)!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We have owned many rvs and the Mobile Suite was hands down the worst rv we ever owned.  Finally when the roof was coming off we got rid of it.  We ended up with a Jayco product which has turned out to be the best.  Good luck to you.  Betsy.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Unless you're not moving it very far, you'd almost certaintly need to replace the tires.  Have someone knowledgable check for dry rot, though.  Also, some rigs need to have a good battery(ies) for proper function, so you might have to replace it/those as well.  Need to check the roof for any signs of leaks or any tears in the membrane.  Check the flooring inside for soft spots which would indicate leaks and rot.  If there are any "wrinkles" in the outside walls, that could be signs of delamination, which is bad.  Frankly, you might want to check with the NRVIA to find a certified inspector that can give this RV a good once-over and give you a report.  www.nrvia.org to find an inspector close to you.

Lyle

2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hi Lyle,,
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my call for help, and in great detail too. I really appreciate it! The ad said the tires were replaced within the last year (I would potentially be moving it about 40 miles.). But, as for the rest of the items you mentioned, I’m not sure. I’m glad you mentioned the NRVIA certified inspector. I will certainly use the link to find one. They did not mention if there is a generator or battreries. So, I will probably need to purchase those.
Thanks again Lyle,
Gratefully, Tammie 

No problem, Tammie.  If you have power on your family property, a generator probably wouldn't be necessary.  If you have no power, and you are going to need A/C in the summer then, yes, you'll likely need one.  If you have 2 A/C units, the FW will be 50 amp and would want a generator that would handle those loads.  I know that Harbor Freight sells a 9500 watt Predator generator that gets decent reviews, but the longevity / reliability may not be right for you.  Champion has some realatively reasonably priced whole home units that would easily run your whole place with no problems.  Can run on either propane or natural gas.  Batteries are up to you, but I'm pretty sure that there's at least one there.  If you want to keep the rig on your own property long-term, you could always consider solar with a large battery bank.

Lyle

1936 John Deere Model A

Again, I appreciate your help. Continuing my search and research! I feel a little better about what to look out for. Hoping to find something with solar already in place (just in case). Fortunately, I have the time to look.  I hope you won't mind if I contact you again, should I find something else I need to ask. I hope you have a great weekend. 

We have owned many rvs and the Mobile Suite was hands down the worst rv we ever owned.  Finally when the roof was coming off we got rid of it.  We ended up with a Jayco product which has turned out to be the best.  Good luck to you.  Betsy.

Hi Betsy! 

Thanks so much for your input. Since posting, I have come across many other's that echo your experience with DRV. In my research I've seen alot of positive reviews of the Jayco product line. Any opinion on the Jayco Pinnacle? I appreciate your thoughts!

Have a nice day,

Tammie 🙂

The Pinnacle is fabulous.  Sorry to say we traded the Pinnacle for the DRV.  We now have the Jayco North Point rear bath, front living room which is by far our favorite one we ever owned.  

Personally, I'd put the KZ Durango Gold a bit above the Jayco, quality-wise.  If you can find a pre-covid Gold that suits you, and is in good condition, take a serious look at it.

Lyle

1936 John Deere Model A

I can agree with this comment !

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Thank you Lyle . I've never actually seen a KZ Durango Gold. So, I did a quick search. Your are right they are nice. Not too many at all near me In SoCal. But, I'm going to keep looking!

Any time.  Have a great weekend.

1936 John Deere Model A

Hi Lyle, 

Remember me, I'm back 😊  I'm now looking to purchase an RV within the next 3 months. The complex I have lived in for the past 12 years is being "renovated" and they are evicting the tenants 1 by 1. My notice came 3/28. I took your advice and have been looking for A KZ Durango Gold. I have found one that is not too far away (compared to most). Once again, I'm asking for your sage advice. This time I was wondering if you could suggest what questions  ask ask about this rig, when I inquire about it? It is about 325 miles away from me, so I can't just drop by to see it. I believe you previously recommended getting an inspection from a registered RV inspector? Which I definitley will do when the time comes. I have included 2 links below to the Ad for it so you  can take a look for yourself if you like. Thanks for any help you may give. I hope this finds you doing well as this year is already flying by! 

Sincerely,

Tammie

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-K-Z-Durango-Gold-366FBT-5030304064

https://nationalvehicle.com/rv-details/a/163144/ 

Sent you a PM...

Lyle

1936 John Deere Model A