cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMC 2500HD - Road Warrior 410 - Airbags?

warped_five
Explorer
Explorer
After searching across half the country and countless hours of internet research, we thought we finally found the right match. A Road Warrior 410 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. We have a GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel engine with a 6" lift. We knew that the optimal towing vehicle would be a 3500 dually. But, had determined that airbags (with a few other modifications) would bridge the majority of that gap.

We found our "dream RV" at one of the largest 5th wheel dealers in the country located in central Ohio. Unfortunately, the dealership says that they cannot add the airbags to our truck along with the fifth wheel setup.

My husband, who is a "car guy", says if these guys say it can't be done,then it can't be done. But, I'm heartbroken and not ready to give up. I asked if it was a regulatory thing (like removing the DEF, no respectable dealership do it, but backyard mechanics to it all the time). I was told no.

But, yet through all of research I see folks with trucks similar to ours, adding airbags, and towing fifth wheels.

What am I missing? Can it be done? Should I give up and either decide to go Class A or get another truck?

Thanks for your insight!

-d
21 REPLIES 21

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a bigger truck and forget the stupid lift kit.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
As stated, 5er is too heavy for that truck...lift doesn't help any, nor will airbags....You're talking dually country if the GVW of the 5er is 18,000#...IF loaded to that, pin weight could easily hit 3600#.

Using my 5er which only has a GVW of 16,950, loaded to a little over 16,000# now, has a pin weight of 3340#.

The 5er you want needs "more truck,the one you have can tow it, but it won't be much fun...Air bags level the load, don't help raise GVW.

Jim, you went ,and did it with that airbag statement . :B

I can't imagine towing with a pin weight up over 3000#. with a 3/4 ton,or a 1 ton SRW. Way too much fifth wheel with that truck, and no air bags are not going to help that load, maybe get him off his overloads.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Way too much toy hauler for that truck. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 with a payload capacity of 4074lbs per the door sticker and I wouldnt want to tow that TH with mine....I think you are at a minimum 1 ton Dually, and even then you will need the right combination of tranny, gears, and options to be legal imo.
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, 5er is too heavy for that truck...lift doesn't help any, nor will airbags....You're talking dually country if the GVW of the 5er is 18,000#...IF loaded to that, pin weight could easily hit 3600#.

Using my 5er which only has a GVW of 16,950, loaded to a little over 16,000# now, has a pin weight of 3340#.

The 5er you want needs "more truck,the one you have can tow it, but it won't be much fun...Air bags level the load, don't help raise GVW.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Empty the trailer weighs over twice what the truck does, forgetting you are way over payload and rear axle weight - with just the empty trailer - in a decent cross wind you will have the tail wagging the dog. At least a dually has 4 tires under the pin to both support it, and resist side movement from the trailer. My experience with lifted trucks indicates they don't tow heavy loads without LOTS of sagging, while airbags can prop up the rear, and sway bars can reduce the side to side leaning, they sell duallys for a reason. I would never tow a 3 axle trailer with a 3/4 ton truck - just asking for trouble.
It is a real nice trailer, just beyond what you should be pulling with a 3/4 ton.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adding air bags is ez, did that on my '03 2500, so technically no problem. But as already stated, the dry pin weight will exceed the rear GAWR, but more critical, it will exceed the tire capacity as well. That is a real safety issue. You need a lighter fiver or a bigger truck. And I will second the issue with a lifted truck. Fivers are still being manufactured with a king pin height of 46-48 inches when sitting level with a 12 inch offset to the trailer body, so call it 60 inches. You need a minimum of 6 inches clearance between truck and trailer, so if the truck bed height is more than 54 inches, then the fiver will not sit level. Your lifted truck is probably closer to 65 inches high, creating a second safety issue, overloading the fiver rear axle/tires. Time for plan B.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
It's called "liability"!
If they enable your truck to carry more than its rated load and something goes wrong, they are afraid they could be held partially responsible.
Do it yourself and you know where the buck stops!
You really need to look at your Denali ratings, ESPECIALLY the RAWR.
If you think you NEED a dually, but are going to 'make do" with a 2500, then I suspect you already know you will be overloaded.

And that 6" lift is going to make it very difficult to level the fiver.

Edit: I just checked the specs on that trailer. A 14,395# dry weight, dry hitch weight of 3100# with an 18,000# GVWR is solidly in 1-ton dually country, edging into MDT territory. NO WAY you should tow that with a 3/4 ton!
Sorry to rain on your parade but you really need to rethink your combination.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.