cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Reflection

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone seen one of these? Looking online looks about perfect except for the 15" wheels. Any reports on the general quality of Grand Design?

Might have to plan a camping trip to go see one of these. Otherwise we are looking at the Montana High Country. Have eliminated lots, and like ones that are too heavy. Keeping our truck a few more years.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW
12 REPLIES 12

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies.

Sure is lots of good info on this forum, along with lots of opinions 😉

Our search continues, but Reflection stays on the list (along with Montana High Country 318RE, and a couple of Crusader that we have not yet looked at).

Happy camping all

bob8687
Explorer
Explorer
2hams........if you wish, send me a PM and ask away!
Bob
2014 Silverado 3500 LT 4x4 LB Duramax w/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bob8687
Explorer
Explorer
2Hams,
We just bought one (303RLS)and we found the same thing on-line, and in person....perfect. Now that said, it is perfect for us. We too were looking at the Montana, only a Mountaineer and were just about to pull the trigger on it when we got introduced to the Reflection.

Yes, I too was taken back by the 15" wheels and wrote the manufacturer directly....got an immediate response that with this weight unit they weren't required--Still wish the had 16's and may go to that after the first year on the factory set-up.

I had specifics that it met: Must be able to access bathroom with slides in (didn't need to get to the kitchen); bedroom slide (bed or dresser); upgraded suspension and 50A with room for a second A/C.

Ours was the first sold here in Tucson, and likely in AZ. Got a solid deal and now it's in having that second a/c installed, as well as slide-covers and we'll do our PDI in about a week. This whole thing went WAAAAAAY faster than I ever figured--we still haven't got the truck! New Chevy 3500 LT LB 4x4 CC 6.6 w/Allison tranny coming in Tuesday.....then a hitch, THEN trailer!

I can tell you that after nearly two years of research, daily reviews of the forum here (THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR EVERY SINGLE THOUGHTFUL COMMENT AND ASSIST YOU PROVIDE FOLKS---Even those of us who don't submit much, read A LOT and learn A LOT!) Where was I....after all that research, including shows in Pomona, visits to Albuquerque and countless trips to dealerships here and in the Phx. valley, we believe we have landed the right one for us --- Reflection. I know....to each their own and I respect that. But I can, from this point of infancy of ownership of one, recommend Grand Design's product.

Time will tell, and no rig is perfect. But hopefully this one will provide us with many years & miles of enjoyment. I retire Jan. 3 and we will head out 30, 60, & 90 day trips for the next several years.

Good luck with your hunt.....take your time, listen to everyone with a grain of salt (including ME!) and buy with your heart in check and mind wide open.
Bob
2014 Silverado 3500 LT 4x4 LB Duramax w/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
The Grand Design salesman at the Hershey show mentioned that they plan on upgrading to build a unit to compete DRV and high end line, time will tell
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Lostincanada
Explorer
Explorer
We will be touring the Grand Design factory the first week of Oct. We have seen one floorplan infact drove 6 hours to see it. Very impressed. And yes, 16 in tires are a must have.
2015 Grand Design 337RLS
2012 Ram 2500 CTD

Winter camping tips and tricks!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with 225/75/15 tire specs. Just switch out to Maxxis if worried.
5'er has a GVW of 11,995lbs-20%pin@2399=9596lbs on axles. Tires are rated at 10,160lbs total.
Dry weight of the 5'er is 9200lbs. Yes that's probably 2-300lbs low. Add 1000-1500lbs for stuff figuring what the average couple takes and you're at 11,000. Minus 2200lbs for pin and that leaves 8800lbs on the axles. Well under the 10,160lb tire rating.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a suggestion.take a look at some of the Palomino or Columbus models also. I looked at them and was impressed. They look like nice units and have a few that would work for you. Good luck.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
GUY AT OUR OFFICE JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR 35 CANADAIN. LOOKS GOOD BUT NOT THE 15 INCH TIRES. SORRY ABOUT CAP LOCKS LOL

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Yes looking at the website the Reflection look great. On the other hand, we thought some looked good on the website but just a couple of steps inside and both the DH and I said no.

B.O. - I've been researching since the beginning of the year. Most of the units that spec a dry weight under 10K come with 15" wheels, although some have a 16" option. It is hard to know what they might skimp on, at least the website has some construction details, unlike some other brands.

I did submit a question on the Grand Design website. Got an answer in about 3 hours from the Manager of the Reflection product line! He said that 16" wheels were not an option, but they would fit. Maybe if more of us ask, it could become an option.

It is so frustrating. We MUST be able to access the fridge with the slides in, since we have to pack/unpack parked on the street. Our current rig is 30' long, and we'd like to stay at or under 35'. The pattern that I have seen, across multiple manufacturers, is that the shorter units are "Dealer Stock Only", replaced by something 37 to 38' long. Case in point is the Big Country 3250TS replaced by the 3251 which is 37' long.

Trimble1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Grand Design Solitude, it came with 16's but I did switch out Chinese tires to Goodyear G614's. DW and I both love the unit, couldn't be happier.
Jim & Sandy, (Molly and Jaguar)
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2011 Ford F350 6.7L SRW CC LWB

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the website, they look great.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they cheaped out and used 15" wheels what else did they leave out??

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS