cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hitch questions (update)

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey guys, well it's time to let the old Super Duty go. I have found a new to me Super Duty (2016) in awesome shape. I have a question though. The truck I have found does not have the factory puck system on it. I currently have a B & W Patriot hitch for the industry standard rails. I know the cheapest way to do this is use my existing hitch and install new rails.

However I would like to have a clean flat bed when I remove the hitch. So my question is, should I have the puck system installed and by an adapter to use my existing hitch? Or go with a Gooseneck ball and get a B & W Companion hitch? Are there any other options? Thanks all.

Hey guys just wanted to let you all know we went with the industry standard rails. Ordered the Curt rails with the bracket made for the F350 and the install was a piece of cake for the most part. Took the trailer on a short test pull, OH MY!!!!! I should have traded trucks a long time ago!!! Thanks for all the replies and advice.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
6 REPLIES 6

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I'd install the B&W Turnover Ball and find a nice, used Companion hitch. The TO Ball requires 1 4" hole and 4 1/2" holes vs the 5 4" holes for the puck / GN system. Gives you the option to use a GN trailer if you need it. I had this in my now-sold '02 D'max. Loved it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sell the hitch, install the pucks and buy the B&W Puck Hitch.

Nuff Said.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I was useing an 18K Patriot before I went airhitch. It's a great hitch & I would just put the rails in unless you plan on getting some monster size 5er in the future. That's would be the time to switch to a heavier hitch. My opinion & worth every dollar you've paid for it,lol

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Here is a possible low cost solution. Install rails and use your Patriot hitch. Buy a BedRug bed mat for around $200 and cut out openings for the rails. The mat is thick and will raise your bed to about the top of the rails. Things like lumber and large items slide right over the rails when pushed in. You get the added advantage of having a soft floor to crawl around on. I would also get the additional tailgate mat; a soft seat when you need one.

This is not a good solution if you want a clean bed to haul gravel, bark, or other loose items that need to be shoveled out. I have rails and a BedRug in my truck and I love it. It is 18 years old and still looks great, however I run a tonneau cover and my truck is pretty much a dedicated tow rig. When I need gravel, I have it delivered..

Thats a nice solution ,never been a fan of using the bed for hauling things like gravel ,sand etc . I don't believe I have ever used the bed for such a purpose . I have always had a utility trailer or access to one .

I have the adapter that fits the puck system , and either a conventional hitch ,and now the steel Andersen which fit the standard bed rail system or the adapter . At the time 2014 there were no hitches that fit the puck system directly , so like the OP wanting to use my existing hitch the adapter was actually the only choice , or bedrails which wouldn't have made sense having the puck system .

Having had standard bed rails , or the adapter in the bed of my truck I have no problem with either . If I was wanting to use the hitch the OP has I'd go bedrails . In all the years I have had either the adapter or bedrails they have never been an issue . .

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a possible low cost solution. Install rails and use your Patriot hitch. Buy a BedRug bed mat for around $200 and cut out openings for the rails. The mat is thick and will raise your bed to about the top of the rails. Things like lumber and large items slide right over the rails when pushed in. You get the added advantage of having a soft floor to crawl around on. I would also get the additional tailgate mat; a soft seat when you need one.

This is not a good solution if you want a clean bed to haul gravel, bark, or other loose items that need to be shoveled out. I have rails and a BedRug in my truck and I love it. It is 18 years old and still looks great, however I run a tonneau cover and my truck is pretty much a dedicated tow rig. When I need gravel, I have it delivered..

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Using the Patriot with new rails is not a bad thing, and you likely already know the rails don't interfere most times, when using the bed.

The best thing is to install the Ford puck system, and get the 3300 Companion that attaches direct.

I would not go to the trouble of puck install, then add an adapter for the Patriot.

I am not a fan of using a gooseneck ball, and any type of single point attachment. The B&W 3500 is not the easiest in/out hitch, if you plan to do that often.

Enjoy that new to you truck!!

Jerry