cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big a pain to sell a 17 year old Alpha Gold?

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
So here's the back story - my mother in law is 80+ and living in the 5er that her and her late husband had (it's in an RV park in Southern CA). It's time for her to move to a senior living facility and we've started the process on that so we need to help her sell the 5th wheel.
I've already talked to one dealer who does consignment sales and basically they keep 3K from the selling price.

This seems somewhat reasonable to me but I figured I'd ask the 5er community if selling it ourselves (Craigslist/For Sale Sign/whatever) was worth the additional hassle. The MIL is getting somewhat fragile so we wouldn't want her dealing with the potential buyers and we live roughly 100 miles away so the logistics of us going up for every inquiry could be an issue.

What are the thoughts of the 5er brain trust? is the additional 3 grand or so worth the hassle/risk?

Thanks!
Outta my way, we're goin campin!
'18 Salem Cruise Lite 210RBXL
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4
15 REPLIES 15

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Having it look its best is important & will add a few thousand to the value. Don't expect much if it does not look like much.

That's my thought as well. The challenge is getting all of the MIL's stuff packed and moved out and then pretty things up. She did have the exterior washed (but I don't think they did a wax) a few weeks back so that should help get things started. We'll be making a trip up Tuesday and going over some stuff with the MIL - hopefully we can get the process started.

Thanks to all for the thoughts & suggestions!
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you have hit on the plan I would do. Sell direct as is, where is. If that does not work, spend at least a weekend to clean it up inside & especially outside & send it out on consignment.

Having it look its best is important & will add a few thousand to the value. Don't expect much if it does not look like much.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, a $3k consignment fee for a camper expected to sell in the $12k-$15k range is too much. Here in Texas, we have PPL Motorhomes, an all consignment lot and they charge a $995 flat fee for anything $10k or under. 10% for anything over.

Good luck whichever route you go.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take whatever you can get and move on. A consignment dealer isn't going to let it sit on their lot if it is way overpriced. A few thousand dollars isn't much in the grand scheme of things. My experience has been that these are not easy to sell.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Tips for a quick sale

- pictures, lots of them. Quality pictures too. If something is broken or scratched, take a picture. If you have 500 pictures, then the people looking in person will already have a good idea of what they are looking at. I imagine a lot of people that end up with no buyers is because they only have a few pictures so people are going there sight unseen.

- Price it realistic. Having it priced too high, no one will look. Priced too low and people will thing something is wrong with it. If you get a solid offer, take it or counter with something realistic. Don't lose a buyer over $500. Your time is worth more than that. check RVtrader for the same or similar models. See what they are listed at. If you are higher, you likely won't get any bites.

- Fix anything that needs fixed. People like buying things that are ready to use. No one really enjoys buying a camper and needing to put tire son immediately, or fixing a cabinet door....etc.

- Clean it out. Selling a camper full of someone elses possessions is really difficult.

Good luck.

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Why not get an rv transporter to move it to your drive & you handle it for her. You will get more $.

A good idea - if we had room for it at our house, but we don't.

After reviewing the responses and talking to my MIL, we're going to take a quick shot at selling it out right while it's sitting in her site at the park. If that doesn't bring out any real buyers, off to the consignment dealer it goes.
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get an rv transporter to move it to your drive & you handle it for her. You will get more $.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you take it to a consignment sales, make sure YOU hold the title. Don't give it to the sales joint! Also check with the insurance on it that it is covered sitting on a consignment lot. If you must move it, new tires are probably going to be needed. Too bad it isn't in the Yuma, AZ. area with snowbird season coming up.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would just consign it, and tell the dealer the price you want, and he can add his on that, or list it and deal with all the scammers.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you don’t mind pricing it, showing to potential buyers both serious and tire kickers, haggling over price that will definitely happen, handling secure payment, and title transfer, then sell it yourself. Otherwise let consignment handle it all.

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments.

I had also looked on the NADA site and the price there says $12K to $15K. One of the local dealers I spoke to who does consignment also said that is what he would ask for it (depending on condition once he saw it). On the plus side for consignment, it gets the 5er off the RV parks lot quickly which saves the MIL space rental fees or a storage fee.

My MIL will be talking to the park people this week to see what they allow or would support in regards to posting a for sale sign on it and on their bulletin board.

I certainly want to get as much as we can for the rig so she can have that money for future needs. However, my experience with selling cars & trucks as a private sale is you get a lot of looky Lous' and of course there is always the risk of somebody trying to beat the system with bad checks/credit. Maybe selling RV's is a bit different (I've sold a few of our travel trailers in the past and that went moderately well).
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to the park and see if they would consider showing the rig to buyers for a commission. If not, does your mother have friends at the park that would be willing to take on that task? Get it cleaned up as much as possible. Price it right and it will sell. Remember every single rig you see on the internet is not sold, so figure on getting less than the comparable rigs' asking prices.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice above about selling it in the park - put a for sale sign on it, then post it on the bulletin board in a community area.

Look up it's value here: NADA Guides

If all else fails, put it in Craigslist - lots of people looking for used units there - but since it has sat for a while, the tires at least will need to be replaced - and who knows what else needs to be done prior to towing it. Best bet is to try to sell it to someone who isn't going to move it.

You didn't say if she owned the lot it is on - most likely rents it. Talk to the management. Maybe they can help out - you never know.

Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read over the past 20 years on RV Forums, people who sell their RVs using a consignment dealer have a love hate relationship. Some have been happy and felt it was worth it. Others were very unhappy with the experience.
I'd say if it was in excellent condition a consignment dealer is the way to go. With it being in fair condition, I'm guessing the price will be so low you'll see little or no profit if the dealer sells it.

One thing for sure is to get the dealer to provide a written marketing plan; what are they going to do to sell the unit.

I know your MIL probably could use the money if the unit sells but you may consider donating it.

Or advertise it in the current park, maybe someone has been admiring it and wants to move up from what they have.